Topic

Tarptent in heavy winds?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent in heavy winds?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Hi Everyone,
    I have a friend interested in the TarpTents, and he's located in the Virginia area and likes to hike in WV. Last year when I went on one of his favorite mountains, we endured sustained winds that were 40+mph for about 12 hours straight. I love my TarpTent and heartily recommend it to everyone, but am wondering if this tent would serve him well knowing that he'd likely face these conditions again at some point. He needs a 2 or 3 person tent – are any of the TarpTents better suited at facing these winds?

Thanks!

David Ure

@familyguy

Definitely. I would look at the Scarp 2 – bomber.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've posted here that my TT Moment sustained 35-45 mph winds all night at 11,500 ft. at Arapaho Pass in Colorado's Indian Peaks range with no problem. It was occasionally a bit breezy inside due to its excellent ventiation. I had only the windward side guyed out using the hoop sleeve guy point. No flapping at all. This is a very aerodynamic tent.

What's more, if the wind shifts to your door side you merely pull one end stake and rotate it on the other end stake until you have it properly repositioned. Easy.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Another vote for the Scarp 2. I have one which I've only used under calm conditions (and coincidentally, in WV). I did have it setup in my more exposed backyard when winds were gusting to 30-40 mph. You definitely need the extra main pole guyouts in anything more than a moderate wind. I didn't have them staked at first, and there was some scary deflection of the main pole on one big gust. Later, a large plastic lawn chair blew into the tent without causing any damage. It's not just bombproof! ;) …although if your friend hikes in the Dolly Sods Wilderness, bombs are a very realistic concern too!

I'd use the mid-panel guyouts at around 30 mph.

A Scarp 2 will just barely fit 3 people at very close quarters. If pitched without the inner, there's definitely room for 3 20" wide pads under there.

Matt Whitely

@mwhitely

I am the friend Kier is mentioning above. The place he is referencing AndyF is the North Fork Trail near Dolly Sods. Winds were light this weekend. A friend brought a Nemo Meta 2 and it was pretty sweet. The wind was non existent this time, so it was hard to judge how this tent would hold up.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

excellent info guys – thanks a bunch.

welcome to the site, Matt :)

Roger Heward

@green1

Locale: Alberta, Canada

I use an Integral Designs Sil-Shelter for myself and my girlfriend, as long as it is staked out well, and placed with the foot towards the wind, it could handle pretty much anything I think.

Now I find it's better if you can tie to a tree instead of just using hiking poles as supports, but I've used it both ways depending on what's available.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools