Topic

mad rock boots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism mad rock boots?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Does anyone have any experience with the MadRock Alpinist boot? It is being touted as an alternative to the plastic fantastics.

Joseph Aulwes

@eispickel

I just got a pair of two days ago. I think they are great! I have only had the chance to climb with them indoors on an artificial ice wall with step-in crampons.

-Everyone I know that owns the boot finds it hard to slide their foot into the boot, but once your foot is in the boot they are comfortable.

-They are very rigid.

-I normally wear a 10 – 10.5 sized boot, but I purchased an 11 so that I can wear extra thick socks and still have some dead air space.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

We sell these at the gear shop I work for part time. Earlier this season Mad Rock sent us a whole box of them for us to demo out at the Sandstone Ice Fest. I worked the demo tent so I got to hear lots of feeback on a whole slew of gear that was available for demo that day. Amongst these was obviously the Mad Rocks.

People did in fact find them hard to put on as they are a very stiff boot. Some concern was mentioned by one individual that they were not the most comfortable boot for walking in but that the climbing was superb (consequently this individual just purchased a pair of these boots this week).

Overall I heard good things about their ability to accept the crampon, their feel on the ice and their fit. So take into consideration the possibility of an uncomfortable approach but a comfortable and stable climb.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

In the past I've really struggled to get my feet into anything with a neoprene collar or tight upper so I do appreciate the input, I'm going to wait to try some on somewhere… mad rock products seem scarce in the northwest.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools