Topic

Matt Colon’s “Slow Down” Article in BPL issue 6

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Matt Colon’s “Slow Down” Article in BPL issue 6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

It is worth re-reading Colin Fletcher, isn't it? Although the equipment has changed, the observations are timeless.

As to the NASCAR analogy, my recollection is that he wrote he had only two hiking paces: slow and slower.

I think he also wrote that when he had become a very knowledgeable expert on backpacking equipment, often sought after for his opinions, he realized, in the end, he had became nothing more than a bore. I think his 1970's word for it was a "fuddy-duddy."

Regardless of my pack weight, the older I get, the easier it has become for me to hike slower and be a fuddy-duddy!

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Absolutely loved that article – that one column was worth the cost of the whole year's subscription!

However, considering the amount of "…and fast" articles in the previous issues and on this website, it made me wonder if Matt's new title will be "Interim Editor-in-Chief." ;)

All kidding aside, this was a well-thought-out piece of writing, that perfectly captures my own thoughts on why I go out there. It also is perfect proof that this website provides an outlet for a wide diversity of opinion, and that this diversity is not only tolerated but actively sought in order to make the experience better for everyone.

Well done, Matt; keep up the great work.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Yes, Matt's commentary was GREAT. It certainly gave me pause to think about the future of writing here at BPL, and we definitely are going to explore more of these issues in 2007.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools