Topic

Hunter shoots, kills hiker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Hunter shoots, kills hiker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another sad story of hiker mistaken for bear.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Which is EXACTLY why I sent this email off to a cottage gear owner, "Your description for the (rain jacket) says to ask about getting a jacket made in another colour than silver/gray… I would feel better wearing something like "Don't Shoot Me" Bright Orange or "Don't Run Me Over" Neon Green."
    I still get worried around hunting season when I up to the sounds of gunfire, even inside of state parks.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Sad story that gets repeated too often.

Whenever I hike during hunting season, I ALWAYS wear blaze orange and make a lot of human noise such as talking or singing.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

+100 Steve.

It used to be that outwear, especially hard shells, rain gear, and windshirts was available in bright colors; not any more. You really have to search to find something other than black, navy blue, or charcoal – especially for men. International orange is sometimes seen, but yellow (O2 Rainshield notwithstanding)and red have all but gone.

Many of us LIKE to be visible on the trail. For the rest, there is a plethora of blend-into-the-background, dull or cameo colors.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Ochoa was wearing dark-colored clothing when an Oregon man hunting for bear with his 12-year-old grandson saw something moving in the brush and fired one shot from a .270-caliber rifle, striking Ochoa, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said."

Why do people shoot at things they can't see? From that report, he didn't know what he was shooting at in any way. That goes against any firearms training I have had. Some kids out bear hunting killed a hiker the same way in Washington in 2008. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008156012_webhuntingdeath03m.html

I'm up for an orange pack cover for hunting season. Patagonia has that "Clementine" color that will do the trick too.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

That's sad. My condolences to family and friends. Like others here, however, I wear an orange jacket. When I'm not wearing it, it's strapped to the outside of my pack. I do this always, not just during hunting season. It's dual purpose with the thought that it would also help friends/family, or officials, more easily find me in an emergency, from the ground or air.

I also wear the same jacket while on my motorcycle or bicycle and similarly bright colors while kayaking.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools