Topic

Need Puffy: Fitz Roy Down Hoody or DAS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need Puffy: Fitz Roy Down Hoody or DAS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Had a lot of my gear stolen recently and need to replace my puffy for super cold winter expeditions and freak cold snaps in the city. I had a MHW Sub Zero SL that performed wonderfully in -25F with just a Wool 3 baselayer, wool boxers and jeans. Alas, MHW seems to have discontinued the design for something "more breathable" and less weather resistent at an even higher price.

I like the Fitz Roy Down Hoody quite a bit, but was wondering how it would compare to the DAS. Which is warmer? My concern about the Fitz Roy is the durability, but it seems like a supremely warm jacket? Does anyone have the iclo for it? What would I use the DAS for?

I used the Sub Zero as a belay jacket often, but found the hood's "face guard" was so abrasive, I had to grow out my beard and cannot fly commercial air lines as a result.

Thanks.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Babak,

MHW Sub Zero SL = 6.66 Iclo
    Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Hoody = 3.94 Iclo
    Patagonia DAS = 3.95 Iclo

The Eddie Bauer Peak XV Down Jacket is the best value replacement garment with close to equivalent warmth to your old jacket = Iclo 7.47.

There are down parkas from many other manufactures that are much warmer than the Eddie Bauer Peak XV Down Jacket. An example is the Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka at 11.98 Iclo.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

It is def as warm a coat as you are gonna get without going the FF full parka route!!

I really wanna get rid of this coat as i have my eye on something else and would like to put the money from this toward that.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i've been very happy with my volant. it's relativly light and packs down small. i don't know what the clo is, but i've had it out in sub-0 conditions in both the cascades and the whites and have been very pleased with its performance. i probably wouldn't take it to denali, but would be ok anywhere else.

i also have a wild things belay jacket. i think of it as my bullet proof vest. it may not be as warm or compressable as a down jacket of equal weight, but it offers all conditions protection and peace of mind that down is sometimes lacking.

i don't have any personal experience with the eb peak xv, but it sound like it offers great value and they appear to go on sale on a regular basis.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools