Topic

“I think it’s a good idea…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion “I think it’s a good idea…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

… and I believe your story, so I will grant you the visa!"

Get in! Yesterday was a rather long and mentally draining day as we had to head down to London to visit the US embassy to try and get our B2 visa. Well we got it first time! Which means that our PCT through hike 2012 is on!

Kit lists have nearly been finished and much of the kit tested. Visa has been sorted. Now just need to book flights, apply for through hiker permits, CA fire permits etc. I am planning on being at the ADZPCTKO, so if anyone else is doing it next year, I'll see you there! :D

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Congrats! Great to hear it worked out for you!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Why the fire permits??

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

In California you need a fire permit in order to have a campfire or operate a stove while on the PCT in the state.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

By the way, fire permits are a good idea. PCT hikers have started a shameful number of wildfires over the years. Human-caused wildfires are a bad deal, can result in enormous fines, and can land someone in prison if the fire kills somebody. It is very, very easy to start a wildfire under dry conditions. Things can go from perfectly fine to an out-of-control fire in 2 seconds. Literally. Alcohol stoves and campfires should be used with extreme caution if conditions are dry, (I'd forgo the campfires entirely) especially associated with wind.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools