Topic

,7 ounce bowl/cup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear ,7 ounce bowl/cup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I'm sure this has been posted before but what the heck.

Safeway Yogurt Bowl

Safeway's yogurt containers are durable enough for at least a few trips. I've been using them for awile and haven't had one fail me yet. I replace them every few trips just (as Bill Clinton said) because I can.

This one weighs .7 ounces and has a 20 ounce capacity. It was made with scissors in my shop. I left burrs on the edges to showcase its myog history.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> It was made with scissors in my shop. I left burrs on the edges to showcase its myog history.

;-)

I'm always on the lookout for 'recycled' containers for outdoor use. The Holy Grail will be a fairly vertical-sided pot, with nice rounded corner on the base (easy clean), and a screw or clip lid, and of just the right gauge plastic to be strong enough but not too heavy.

One of the nicest cups I've found recently is a 300ml creme fraiche pot (in Sainsbury's in the UK), which has a handy little transparent window down the side, with fairly accurate graduations; cup and measure in one. The lid is also a nice secure fit, and it's not uncomfortable to drink from (it has a flat rim…and no cut-off burrs…).

The problem with cutting down thin pots like the yogurt pot is that the pot then loses most of its rigidity; this is provided by the flat rim structure at the top of the pot. Of course, if you don't need rigidity, it's not a probelm…

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Kevin,

For my cereal bowl/cup I seek flexibility. I don't like the rigid lip that comes on yogurt containers. By cutting it off I can form the edge of the cup/bowl into a pour spout and pour the food down my gullet.

I like the look of the creme fraiche container you posted. For my use I'd dump the lid and cut off the lip. The measurement feature would be a nice plus. I'd prefer a 500ml size.

As you might have guessed I am not a gourmet.

Daryl

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

a true ultra lighter measures things in tenths of a gram …
    not tenths of an ounce :-)

Kristin Fiebelkorn
    BPL Member

@kushbaby

Locale: South Texas

This is great! I have a few large FAGE yogurt containers, and one of those would be perfect cut down…

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Art,

I guess I'm just an ultra lighter wanna-be. I hope they don't cancel my BPL membership.

Daryl

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools