Topic

What do you do for a living?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What do you do for a living?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 213 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

IT. But I'm not a geek, I just play one at work.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

My degree is in Nuclear Engineering. Spent some time in the Navy on subs. Worked in maintenance and engineering for a while, but have been HR & Environmental Mgr the last 10 years.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Retired clinical lab scientist/IT analyst for lab software, still working as musician (bassoonist in symphony/opera/ballet orchestras).

Troy Pratten
    BPL Member

@gogators

Locale: The Middle of Big 12-3+1 Country

My dad is an electrical engineer. He does some UL stuff, including some pretty cool MYOG.

I try to go lightweight, but I'm not quite as into UL yet… I'm a lawyer. Speculate about our relative intelligence as you will. ;)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Mechanical Engineer by education though haven't done much engineering in years.

David Ure

@familyguy

You guys are all nerds. Well, except for Tony of course.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Dan Durston,

I hope my question was not inappropriate. I really enjoyed your search for a Sierra trip thread and was impressed with your wife's hike to the summit of Whitney based on what you told us about here previous hiking experience.

You sound like a wonderful couple. I suspected that you were up there without her.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"Often engineers and accountants do not interact a lot with people at work versus the amount of time they spend on their immediate tasks. "

So you know how to tell if an engineer is an extravert? They look at the OTHER person's
    feet when talking to them.

Sorry, son and son in law of engineers.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I sue people who injure my clients in one of about as may ways as you can imagine. My undergrad degree was mechanical engineering, though, does that count?

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

Lead teacher at an outdoor therepeutic program for at-risk youth.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Violinist. M.M. in performance and pedagogy. I have a private studio of students I teach and perform in various gigs. I also work in the family lawn sprinkler business.

(Alas, I think I have a suppressed engineer inside me though)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Retired high school teacher.
    (environmental studies, psychology and history) Semi-geek.

Currently ski patroller in winter, backpacker all other seasons.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Basically my goal in life at this moment is to scrape another 5 grand together and take another long walk."

It's called the Peter Pan Syndrome, usually incurable, although getting married has been known to reduce it to a manageable, but chronic, affliction.

May you never grow up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Worked in performance analysis/tuning of large scale IBM data base/data communications systems, mostly as a consultant.

Education was in Middle East studies. Go figure.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I am the Customer Service Dept. manager at a mortgage company. Also includes the mail room, file room, imaging, and special projects. I have to wear a lot of different hats which is good because it helps to keep me from getting bored. For example, I just got through coordinating the mailing of 40,000 letters to our customers letting them know the unintended consequences of the Dodd Frank Act.

Ryan

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Retired paralegal.

A few years ago in a thread here people started including their Myers/Briggs scores. A lot of them were INTJ's. I'm an ISTJ, a/k/a an uncreative nerd.

Michael Williams

@qldhike

Locale: Queensland

Clinical Pharmacist here.

There has to be a few more healthcare related professions around surely? I would have thought some physiotherapists and doctors for sure

Ethan Simoneau

@kf6ivi

Just a paramedic.

Nathan REN

@ren308

work for a bags manufacturer as salesman in China.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@r4gl7q

Locale: Arizona

80GHz Collision Avoidance/Adaptive Cruise Control test engineer.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

After a long career as a public health dentist, with heavy training in dental forensics, I'm now essentially retired. Once in a while my CU dental school department chair asks me to work on their mobile clinic and teach students how to provide proper dentistry for uninsured children in remote settings. I also volunteer with a Federal disaster medical assistance team (e.g., hurricane relief). But mostly, I sit at my computer and trade stocks, keep tabs on the BPL forums, check e-mail, and bend titanium rods for the Zia grills. Then there's the important business of providing unsolicited advice to newbie backpackers shopping at the local REI for their first canister stove.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Academic veterinarian (critical care medicine)

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

I work 4 10hour days a week getting cussed out, called every name you can think of, having stuff thrown at me, guns and knives pulled on me, avoiding wasp nests and dog dung, running from pit bulls and every other useless dog, getting lied to , hearing peoples problems in life, all while disconnecting about 50 people per day's electricity because of their negligence to pay their electric bill for two months. I've been doing this for seven years, so I'm sure you can see why I enjoy gettting out into the wilderness away from society( I call it "escaping to reality"). I worked as a lineman previously, but I decided to bid on my current job because I didn't enjoy sitting down for supper, laying my head on the pillow, enjoying Thanksgiving dinner, enjoying my family at Chrismas etc etc and my phone ringing to call me back to work.

My wife and I are now working towards being as self sustained as possbible and opening a deer processing business to work 4 months out of the year.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Software developer, writing software for medical research, sometimes clinical use

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 213 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools