Topic

Trinity Alps Octoberfest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Trinity Alps Octoberfest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jacob,

So how did the new camera, Sony Nex-5, work out for you.

What cameras did people use to shot their photos?

By the way, great looking photos posted….having been talking to Jacob recently, he has me seriously thinking of moving away from my pocket camera to something a little bigger, with better photo images.

-Tony

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Tony,

I think we had a total of three Sony Nex's on the trip (Jacob D., Kat P., and mine)

Jacob was rockin' a pretty sweet Voigtlander manual lens, I had my 16mm pancake and a Pentax-M 50mm/f2, and Kat had the 16mm pancake with her. Adam had a Pentax DSLR with a 90mm macro lens and a kit zoom? along with a very nice tripod for those night shots.

Edited for correctness

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I only brought the kit pancake lens on the hike. Left the 18-55 in the car.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Kat needed a wide angle to get my entire gut in the pics she took of me……

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Eric, I think you're right on for the most part. I believe Adam's zoom was an older Pentax lens. By the way, I really liked some of those shots you took with the 50/2. Very pleasant rendering from that lens (and of course, nicely composed photos!).

I was hoping at least one of Adam's star trail photos would make it on here (holding out hope, hint hint, Adam) but the other night shots were really cool.

Tony, I'm sold on the NEX. The 5N is the latest and greatest in the "5" line, and to be fully honest it keeps up with my Canon 5D SLR as far as sensor performance, in some respects it surpasses it (and even the new 5D Mark II) – which is saying a lot IMO. Walking into camp and seeing 2 other NEX's right away, I knew I must have made a good choice if it was approved by other BPL'ers :) I was honestly a little surprised that I got as many keeper shots as I did since I only had the camera and lens a few days prior to the trip and was not working at my preferred focal length (35mm, I was shooting at 60mm most of the time). The 18-55 kit lens is also quite good as far as I'm concerned, and not heavy. With the strap that I made, the camera was always right there ready to go and never bothered me while walking.

I will post a full report on it later (not on this thread).

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

@Tony:

I used what is a pretty good point-and-shoot in the Panasonic DMC-ZS7 (on auto the whole time) but the photos from the NEX users above are dramatically better! Aside from the fact that Kat, Eric and Jacob are just plain good photographers, the mirrorless cameras seem like amazing tools. I have to think about upgrading too.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Eric, Kat, & Jacob,

Jacob, I know you have given me some feed back on the reviews of the 16mm pancake lens, but I wanted to find out from the others of what they think of it.

(Glad that your strap setup worked out well for you….you should post a photo of it on BPL so others can see what you did…was it comfortable on hikes?)

I saw your shots too….those were with another lens, not the "stock" 18-55mm?

Kat & Eric,

Do you find that the 16mm pancake is a good enough "do all" lens for your outdoor needs?

Kat, you mentioned that you left the 18-55mm standard lens for the NEX-5 in the car….did you find any situations where you regretted that?

Saw your photos…how did you manage to have color in your black and white shots? Did you do that with the camera's built in software or did you do that after the trip on your computer via software like Photoshop?

Love the size of the NEX-5 with the pancake lens, which really makes it very nice and compact, but I am concerned that images closer up for shots around camp would be distorted.

You are all making the decision to get this camera sometime next year very EASY. :)

Steven…maybe you are like me and suffering from camera envy?

I see the clarity and vibrant colors in their shots and it makes me feel sad when I look at my old and faithful pocket camera….

-Tony

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

@Tony and others, photography talk can continue at a new thread.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Tony
    I missed the 18-55 a couple of times only. Low light shots and close ups on leaves. So no, the 16mm does not cover all my needs as far as outdoor photography, but if I had to choose one over the other, I would choose the 16mm.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Kat,

Thanks for the feedback….helps alot.

Moving this discussion to the other thread.

Sorry for the highjack and going off topic.

-Tony

Eli .

@feileung

Steve, Doug and David on their way in.

Off and Away

Trail Scenery

River Shot

Fall Colors

Fall Colors

Again with the Falls

Falls Bridge Pano

More Color

More Color

Morris Meadow

Morris Meadow

Kat and Chris Hanging Out (shoot me)

Kat, Chris and a Hammock

John and Ron Talk Tents

Ron and John

Cameron's DuoMid

Cameron's Duo-Mid

Jay and Jacob

Jay and Jacob

Steve and Adam above Sapphire Lake

Steve and Adam Above Sapphire Lake

Clean, Cold Water

Clean and Cold

Sheila, Marsha and Oatmeal

Sheila and Marsha

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Great pics everybody, thanks for the eye candy.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Just a few quick shout-outs on my part:

First off I would like to thank Ken for putting together this trip. It meant a great deal to a lot of people – myself included. Without a doubt the most wonderful hike I have been on in 2011. It truly was one of those amazing hiking trips. Owe you big time!

To Ron Moakl, thanks for the surprise show-up, lively discussions, thumb-ride back to the road, 2 diet rootbeers, and a whole lot of things that will be dwelling in the back of my mind for a long time to come. It was an honor to meet you Sir.

To Humboldt Jim. Thank you for the hike in and conversations and stopping for me. Yes, I still hate hills and blackberry bushes, and on the way out, I discovered I hate a few other things as well. But on a serious note, it really was great getting to know you.

To the individual who brought the MLD Trailstar, thank you for lugging it up there and letting me have a chance to check it out. Seems way to big to be a solo tarp but man was it sweet!

To the individual who has my Halloween bandanna… the ghouls are going to haunt you until I get it back :-p

To the individual who hiked back to check up on Humbodlt Jim and myself – once again, thank you!!

To the individuals who I told I would give some gear too, contact me with whatever it was I said I would give you and I will get it into the mail for you.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Always good to see you, John.
    It was great seeing the little UL tent city appear in that meadow and meeting everyone. I already have a bottle of Redbreast up on the shelf waiting for February.
    Thanks always to Ken for putting these together.

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

@ John Abela…
    Hey…sorry we didn't get to hang out. Thought you looked a little familiar when you took a pic for us heading out onto the trail…..next time. :)

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Took me a while to get to this.

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

Down the Stuart fork toward the lake
    rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

Alpine Lake
    rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

rrr

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

Great to see you again Marc and to meet your brother. We will have to plan a trip this winter somewhere.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Adam,
    Ya that would be fun. I know Jack would like to get in on this cause he really likes the snow. I'll look for some likely places.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools