Topic

Zippers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Zippers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

Can I pick up a good zipper say at JoAnn fabrics versus online?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

just a thought, any old gear with zippers on it lying around your house? I've always just cut the zippers off something else and saved myself the trip and a couple bucks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've bought zippers at a fabric store like JoAnn's

They have something advertised for outdoor wear. Plastic teeth. #5. Works okay but I suspect there are slightly better/lighter zippers you can buy online

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When I first started sewing, I didn't know much about zippers. I bought the first ones at JoAnn Fabrics and discovered that there are quite a few varieties, and almost everything I bought at the first and second round turned out to be a little bit wrong. You have separating, non-separating, one-way, two-way, and then different sizes. There is metal tooth, plastic tooth, and coil.

They are mostly good enough, but you just have to get the right type with the right length with the right color and right size.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools