Topic

Golite Jam Pad Support

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Jam Pad Support

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Dale, yes, okay, okay. I understand your annoyance, and I, too, did a double take when I read that "bitter old man" bit, especially since your post didn't come across that way to me at all. But it is getting kind of silly when we start lobbing diapers at one another, wouldn't you say? Can't you guys just step outside for a bit, take a deep breath, remember how much fun backpacking and gear are, come back inside, and laugh it off? Neither of you come across as unfriendly or unsavory. And you know how easy it is to get sucked into that Internet crap throwing contest once you get started, right (I'm certainly really guilty of it!!! Been trying to learn something from it lately)?

But you know? That diaper image has me thinking…MYOG lower torso insulated vapor barrier out of cuben and Primaloft! We all should be wearing one!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey, I lobbed an empty diaper! I had a BBS back before that kid was born— you don't even want to trade flames with me :) But if the "shoe" fits….

Doggone kids don't know which way to turn a screwdriver without a $%^&* instruction manual. Using "dumbass" was being kind. I feel like the father in the 70's Show!

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

"….I point out that it might be the product that is the problem and his approach was trying to make a poor design work rather than taking it back and finding a more suitable product…."

I think the original question might have been misunderstood. It didn't sound like he was trying to fix a problem with a poorly designed pack, but rather just trying to save some weight by replacing the included pad with the ridgerest that he carries anyway. I don't really understand what is so dumb about asking that question to see how it has worked for people that may have already tried it….and based on the first several responses it appears that many people have tried it. Nevertheless, I think the response to Dale's first post was a bit of an overreaction….and then things quickly went downhill from there.

"This is the first time I've seen him get snappy about anything, so I'm surprised."

See recent thread on knots/triptease.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

See recent thread on knots/triptease.

Yeah, he was being a little nitwit too. That's two threads out of thousands. I'll take my averages :)

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I did find that thread pretty helpful. I just might end up replacing the bowline with a figure 8 from now on. Although I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the plastic doo-dads quite yet.

Kevin Harper

@kevinharper2

Locale: Southwest

I do apologies, I just got the Golite and wanted to hear others opinions on taking out the pad. I am going on a trip next week and won't have time to practice with it before hand. I have battled punctures with my air mats here in the Southwest and want to experiment with a simpler approach. I guess its really not much about the weight but how the pack performs with out the pad in the sleeve. my base weight has already been around 10lbs for a while so I will actually be adding about 3 more oz to the load. Again Dale, I am sorry to jump to quick conclusions about you and would welcome advice again in the future. I do ask more questions then give answers and I have been an UL backpacker for about 3 years now, it just seems like I am always trying to learn more.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I apologize too. I'm sorry to unload like that to you and the rest of the crew here. Best of luck with your pack.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

That discussion was getting pretty dull. Thanks for livening things up a bit. I wouldn't get too concerned about Dale making fun of you. He does that to other people, including me. I think it means he like you, but I'm not sure, he may truly think you're a dumbass.

I 'd like to stay and stir the pot but I ought to get back to getting my pack ready for a little over nighter.

Kevin Harper

@kevinharper2

Locale: Southwest

Have fun on the over-nighter, but I think once Dale reads my response on the knot tying thread he will definitely think I am a dumb ass.

By the way, I wouldn't have it any other way with out guys like Dale, over on backpacker.com we had a guy named The Nature Boy who was eventually kicked off. But since he left the forum it was never the same. I don't take any of this personal Dale, you definitely liven things up!

By the way, this one is actually my last post about Dale. I made a mistake in my previous comments.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Sounds like a fun and challenging hike to be doing with your son. I can see why you might be interested in getting your pack dialed. I did a five day wilderness hike with my daughter in August and it was wonderful.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Kevin,
    You will notice when you pull out the Jam pad is not a rectangle it has wings at the bottom. The wings help transfer the load to the hips. This is what I would do it will save weight and make the pad more comfortable get a ridgerest long cut the end of the pad to the shape of the of the original Golite jam pad with wings insert in to sleeve.
    Now cut the the part of the Ridgerest pad straight were you cut out the winged pack insert. Now you should be able use the unrolled ridgerest as a pack frame and stuff all your equipment in the pack. When you sleep at night use use the pack under your lower legs and feet in sleep on the unrolled pad.
    You get amore comfortable back pad when your not hauling backpacking gear.
    Terry

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools