Topic

Base pack weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Sorry folks, but in my few months here
    I have come across the term 'base pack weight'
    but still have not seen a list of what those items are.
    I could guess but I'd get it wrong.

And while I think of it, does the
    'base pack weight' include the weight of the pack ?

THanks

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Base pack weight normally refers to the weight of all items in your pack, including the pack, with the exception of food, water, and fuel, known as the consumables. This weight doesn't include the clothing you are wearing or your poles (if you choose to use them).
    Skin-out weight refers to everything in your pack, plus consumables, plus the clothing you are wearing. In other words skin-out weight is the weight of you with your pack and attire on minus the weight of your naked body.
    I hope this was helpful.

Adam

Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In discussing what goes with us on a trip, I understand that there are three accepted categories:
    1. Items Worn or Carried, like shoes, GPS around your neck, wedding ring
    2. Items carried in your pack, not consumed during the trip. Shelter, sleep system, and the pack itself comprise the "Big 3."
    3. Consumables, including food, water, water treatment, fuel

From those weights, two others can be calculated:
    Initial Pack Weight = 2 + 3
    Skin Out Weight = 1 + 2 + 3

That's what I've gathered, at least. And yes, base pack weight does include the weight of the pack.

Ben

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

..and one more useful weight, Total Base Weight, = 1+2.
    This is useful to compare two hikers who might or might not be wearing certain items vs. carrying them in the pack; doesn't matter when you are comparing TBW. In other words its everything except consumables. TBW is what I try to minimize.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Here are some definitions:

1. Base Weight = your pack plus everything in it or attached to it, except for consumables (i.e. food, fuel and water).

2. Pack Weight = base weight + consumables

3. Skin Out Weight = Pack Weight + everything worn or carried.

4. Skin Out Base Weight = Skin Out Weight – consumables

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I like it !

Too many statistics are never enough !

I have a list of the weight of most items
    I took on a trip in 1996 (mostly Alaska)
    and 2005 (mostly Greenland)
    and what I want to take next trip.
    The weight is plummeting thanks to experience
    and a little info via a certain web site !

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

After a thorough look today at what could be changed to lower the weight of my present setup for 15 degree temperatures, I found that I could easily drop 22.5 oz by simply: using two stuff sacks instead of compression bags (6.5 oz), eliminating the footprint (9.5 oz), and not using a sleeping bag liner (6.5 oz). It looks like the total base weight, including GPS and camera, will come in at about 16.5 pounds which is good considering the bomber gear I'm using…Nimbus Ozone, Akto, WM bag, JetBoil, BA insulated pad. I'll need to carry consumables for several 9 to 10 day consecutive stretches and want to max out around 27 pounds with 2L of water.

Robert Geiser
    BPL Member

@twchikers

Locale: Northeast Ohio

My base pack weight (7# 1oz) includes my pack – tent – ground cloth – sleeping bag – pillow – sleeping pad – rain gear – wind shirt/pants – stove – cookset – spoon – water treatment – and string to hang the bear bag. I'm not a purist since my sleeping pad is a Thermarest Prolite 3, but it works for me. (The picture to the left shows my Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack which is 1# 15oz heavier than my current pack.)

Dennis Palmini

@dpalminiuwsp-edu

Of course there is one other concept: Total Weight. By this I mean total body weight along with what you wear and what you carry.

A while back I weighed 186# and carried a pack that weighed 55 pounds. Then I managed to reduce my weight down to 145# and my pack weight down to 25#. So the total weight I had to propel went from 241# down to 170#. That's 71# less, or 30% less.

Ohhh! What a difference that made!

Pack weight has remained, body weight has drifted upwards, though I'm trying to bend it back down again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools