Topic

Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT Review

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Great review. It sounds like this really is a versatile tent. Do you know the hydrostatic head of the outer fabric?

David Ure

@familyguy

I believe the HH of the outer fabric (1200 Kerlon) is 3000mm, 5000mm for the floor.

Jonas Svedberg
    BPL Member

@designboy

I own the Nallo 4GT. The "GT" is hard to live without. These Swedish tents are designed to withstand snowstorms on the barren mountains. In that perspective and regarding the inner dimensions I think the weight is pretty low. And there's no problem with whatever rainfall you face. The only thing you have to regard is how to get good ventilation in warm weather with lots of mosquitos. But that's not to hard either, it'a all in the manual.

This summer we went on a hike without my two kids and I wanted a lighter tent. I ended up with a Nallo 2 GT. I choose primarily between that or Nallo 2. But as I wrote earlier the "GT" is hard to live without. I'm very satisfied with both tents and can really recommend them.

For basecamps at Himalya I would probably choose the Hilleberg Keron GT though. Not that such trip is iminent…

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I love it, very well written article. That sounds like one awesome tent for a family. I love the generious vestibule. When I was taking boys on trips we always struggled to keep mud and water out of the tents with no vestibules. It seemed the boys were always either…
    a. Stepping into the tent with muddy shoes or
    b. Taking off their shoes outside and than stepping into the mud thus trashing their socks.
    Another problem was that in wet weather the boys would try to kick off their shoes outside and step right into the tent. Great idea, except that 9 year olds tend to be clumsy so they would end up tripping and leaning into the tent. This meant we were often straightening bent poles. A roomy vestibule would have solved this problem.
    Having a nice big vestubule and possibly a small tarp to sit on would give kids a place to take off wet shoes and rain gear and keep all the mess away from the sleeping area.
    That tent looks great, I want one, I just need a family to put in it…

Niels Beeren
    BPL Member

@nibe

Locale: In the Dutch Mountains

Nice review, you can buy carbon fiber poles, from fliegfix.com only there aren't made by Hilleberg. And If you buy the mesh innertent you will save some weight.

Karl-Johan Stefansson
    BPL Member

@kalle

Locale: Switzerland

Great article, Damien.

Hilleberg did make a tent with interchangeable vestibules (standard or GT version) in the past, the Stalon.
    Apparently, it never sold much, so Hilleberg discontinued it. Maybe it never took off because of the weight (it was comparatively heavy).
    So, Hilleberg has a solution for just what you asked for. The question is if they got their fingers burnt with the Stalon, and also if the Hilleberg solution is light weight enough.

For lighter tents, Hilleberg is starting out with a couple new 3 season tents, Anjan and Rogen. Lighter versions of their Nallo (2 and 3) and Allak.
    Maybe we'll see a lighter version of the larger Nallo tents in the future too.

/ Karl

Peter Nylund

@outsideryeti

Locale: Southern Finland

I've had a Nallo 3 some ten years ago and it was a true quality tent, like all Hilleberg tents. I actually considered the Nallo 4 GT last spring for family (2 adults and two children) use, but ended up buying a Golite Shangri-La 5 with nest instead.

For use in hard weather the Nallo would be a great choice, but in easier conditions the inner tent height of the Shangri-La is a great advantage, one which I would not want to be without.

Still, Nallo 4 GT is one of the very few good and light choices for a family tent.

Kristian Ljungkvist
    BPL Member

@pickledherring

Locale: Southern Oregon

Our family of four loves the Nallo 4 GT!

We've spent 18 nights camping in it this year so far in the Marble mountains of California, the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho and the Bob Marshall in Montana.

Two adults and two kids (3 and 10) have plenty of room. The vestibule is fantastic for storing all your gear and having room to do chores out of the elements.

We've been through a couple of multi-day downpours without any issues.

The only "downside" is that the tent is large enough that site selection becomes a little tricky at times. On the other hand, all that space is usable, and you definitely appreciate it once you're inside!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools