Topic

Goggles and glasses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Goggles and glasses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Can they be made to work together?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Think the term is OTG ("over the glasses") though finding a successful anti-fog treatment seems futile.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Not very well in my experience, and sweat makes things worse.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Eugene, do you stick to sunglasses then?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've had glasses for over 40 years now, I wear goggles for skiing and dirtbike riding is all and that one time during a snow storm on my mt bike, that was neat. The goggles don't work well in rainy conditions or melting snow, plus you need to keep air moving thru them, like a motorcycle helmets visor. I also need newer goggles for both activities as the elastic is old or been stretched too many times.
    Duane

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

@spelt

Yes, I use sunglasses when I'm on snow fields. Unfortunately they are not prescription.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I wear prescription sunglasses that are really dark. If I am going to be skiing, I put side shields on the temple pieces to reduce the sunlight from the sides.

–B.G.–

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

I got supplemental contacts for outdoor sports. I can't even keep my glasses clear hiking let alone under my ski goggles even the ones made for them. Others have had better luck than me but I put out a lot of moisture and live in humid environment.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

I have contacts, but the thought of fiddling with them and sticking icy cold fingers into my eyes doesn't appeal. For day trips, contacts are definitely the way to go.

Anonymous

Salice and another company–Casco?–make Nordic ski goggles for glasses wearers that don't fog up. I've been using the Salice goggles while Nordic skiing for two years with my glasses beneath and love them. Essentially, they look like downhill goggles (but smaller) with some space along the bottom and sides left open to allow air to circulate. The lenses come in a variety of tints and are polarized. Mine never fog either my glasses or the goggles unless I stop completely after a long ski; then just a stride or two clears everything up. They keep the snow and rain out. I also snowshoe in mine with no fogging.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I wear contacts, but whenever I go on overnight or week-long trips I take daily disposables.

I went on a ski tour trip once. I was paranoid that I would somehow give myself contact frostbite in my eye, so I always kept a pair of lenses warm by storing them in the pocket of my next-to-skin layer. I also brought along some disposable alcohol wipes to sterilize my fingers. I kept them in the pocket as well. Did the job.

I can't imagine taking glasses into an environment like that with the combination of cold glass (or plastic) and warm water vapor. Not to mention there is probably the skier's version of Murphy's law that says goggles will fog up at the precise moment you don't want them to…

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Goggles over glasses work fine (using the OTG versions) provided its either windy or your moving quickly (skiing) so that air is effectively circulated. If not too windy or too cold I where prescription sunglasses.

Kai Larson

@kaipl

Locale: Colorado

After many years of experimenting, the only solution that I found that works are fan goggles like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Knowledge-Goggle-Graphite-Foundation/dp/B003BG7MUQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1319556663&sr=1-2

They are expensive, but they allow you to see.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Well I just scored on ebay, so I will at least give the OTG goggles a shot. I can't lay out for the fan ones right now. The rest of winter gear acquisition is expensive enough!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I switched from glasses to contact lenses for walking and ski trips for the same reason as others. With contacts I can use any dark glasses or goggles I want, including serious wrap-arounds in the snow and rugged ones in the bush. And with contacts I don't get fogged glasses under the goggles – a problem which can be rather dangerous in my experience. (Skied over not one but two small cornices with fogged glasses …)

I use the J&J Acuvue Moist soft daily disposables. I found they were available across Europe as well, although I had enough with me. Very convenient.

I do store them inside my quilt at night when in the snow. I started doing that after I found ice-sludge in the packet one morning! Putting them in my eyes is no problem, even on the coldest mornings. They are warm enough from sleeping with me, and my fingers are warm enough from being inside my quilt as well. I mean, if you can't keep your fingers warm overnight and during breakfast, then you really are doing something wrong!

Works for me.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm a ski patroller and wear glasses. I use OTG goggles all the time and have no problem as long as I use Cat Crap anti-fog on my glasses.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools