Topic

Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> Technically, there wasn't much more to do than look for the most positive places for footing and kicking when I couldn't find something good enough to stand on. Go do it.

Did you take the north or south route over the pass? You can see what I mean at 10:30-11:00 on my Part 2 video. They both looked reasonable to me from a distance. By kicking, do you mean there was snow when you were there or just dirt/mud instead of talus/scree as it appeared to me? I wish my knee would have cooperated on this trip, but it was the rock-hopping coming down from Pierre Lakes that stressed it early on.

I'd also contemplated doing Heckert Pass from Pierre Lakes pre-trip, but even with a good knee I wouldn't do that one alone once I saw it. It looked much tougher than this one at Cassi Peak.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Very good video Matt, glad you got to see Colorado. Let me know the next time your in Colorado we can hit the Flat Tops or RMNP.

Again great video!

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Peter! Sir, how are you? Would love to see the Flat Tops. Thanks a lot. Glad to see the virtual you.

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

Nice vid

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Thanks Ken.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Enjoyed your trip report. After the bear attacks near Aspen this year, I didn't do my annual solo trip to the Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness, so I've been experiencing it vicariously. I'm going next year — no excuses…

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

I was surprised how fast word spread in the Bells. Two guys were "attacked" by a bear in West Maroon the night I was in East Maroon. Word 'round the campfire was that one was critically injured. I have no way of knowing. I witnessed a wide range of backcountry skill there. In my opinion bear avoidance and food safety were lacking in some. Not all, some.

aaron eshelman
    BPL Member

@djaaronreed

Locale: Central Rockies

Thanks for the great TR Vid! I haven't been able to make it anywhere this season due to injury and this gives me things to look forward to. Colorado is my home state and I just can't get enough of it! Thanks again.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Aaron, thanks. Your home state is gorgeous. I can't wait to go back. Heal well and get back out there.

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Makes me want to go back! Great Video!

Great Marten Grab!

Now, if only I had the patience for proper video editing.

Hmm anyone know if you can set videos as part of ones screen saver function? Surely something like this exists. Pictures/Videos dumped or linked to a folder and the "screen-saver" plays the folder….

Just wondering!

Thanks, Great Trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools