Topic

Potential rainy weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Potential rainy weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

So, I have planned to hike in the ANF with a few friends and relatives next weekend and there is a *chance* that it is going to be cold and rainy. Neither bothers me too much, but I was curious what contingent items you might take with you knowing that you may be parked at camp with a few people versus hiking in the rain (not preferable for a few of the participants). Chances are likely that it was going to be a leisurely weekend anyway and we planned on enjoying the outdoors and hanging out. I could just chill and play cards or something, but what is the best way to congregate say 4 people while staying relatively dry? Take some cordage and an adequately sized tarp to string up as a communal hangout area (we are all tent campers, so no tarps are typically along)?

Suggestions?

TIA

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The tarp is a wonderful idea for group trips in the rain, especially the kind you anticipate, unless one of you has an extra-large tent big enough for everyone to sit comfortably. I was on a group trip a number of years ago in which the large tarp one of our group thoughtfully brought along made all the difference between a happy and a miserable outcome for all of us!

There are a whole bunch of articles on BPL about backpacking in cold rainy conditions (I was going to say cold, wet rain, LOL!). They are well worth the membership fee! Here's one of them:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lightweight_guide_to_backpacking_in_sustained_rain.html

Be sure everyone in the group has adequate rain gear!

A rainy weekend is a perfect time to practice wet weather techniques!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools