Topic

Meal plans for Vegetarian with a nut allergy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Meal plans for Vegetarian with a nut allergy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Wiley
    BPL Member

@huskerhiker

Locale: So Cal

Anyone have any suggestions for breakfast and lunch meals that are cold? I know I can find hot dinners that will be satisfactory, but i've got no clue how to support a fellow hiker with these dietary needs. I'm use to eating bars and trail mix etc, but that won't work for him.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I'd consider some crackers (Wheat Thins?) and some hard cheeses. Other items to add: dark chocolate, dried cranberries, and of course Trader Joe's plaintain chips.

You can also surf through the existing comment threads for ideas and just cross off the items with meats or nuts. I'd also check with him on the items, as I assume most things in packages are "processed in a facility with nuts", or he may have had specific experiences with some of them.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

What type of vegetarian is your friend? Ovo-lacto? Strict vegan?

There are many great energy bar recipes that you can make at home with some nut alternatives. Roasted chickpeas or soy "nuts" can be used in trail mix to give crunch. I have a recipe for a quinoa energy bar that is nut free. Hummus and pita make great lunch fare that doesn't require cooking. Alegria is a nut-free trail snack that has both protein and calories (there is a recipe posted here for that). Muesli is great for breakfast with powdered soy milk and freeze-dried/dehydrated berries. Use shredded coconut or coconut powder to boost the calories where you would have normally done so with nuts.

My second book was vegetarian/vegan and deals with food allergies such as Celiac… so if you need any advice… I'm at your disposal. If you like, I can post a few recipes or you can send me a pm for them.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Here is a link to the Quinoa Bars

Healthy Baked Snacks – Quinoa Bars

and this one can be made with sunflower seeds instead of pecans…

Ellen's Hunky Monkey Vegan Breakfast in Hand

Hope this helps…

And, if you have a food dehydrator… I have some great vegan dinner recipes I can share with you.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

What you need is an explicit list of what isn't allowed and then what do they eat at home – then you go from there. I don't find dietary restrictions hard, you just have to find a new "normal" if you will, then it becomes easy!

Tyler Fisher

@qtrlbrwchs

Locale: northern california

I've been using Mike C.'s meal plan, at least dinners, for just about every trip this season. They're simple to put together and cook up quick and easy on the trail. They are vegetarian you would just have to substitute or withhold the nuts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools