Topic

3 day AT section hike GA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 day AT section hike GA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gray

@loner

Locale: Piney woods

Hey everyone! My first post but have been reading for awhile. Lots of great info on this forum.

HIKE – Approach trail from Springer to Neels gap. Leaving 10/18/12 am. If all goes well I'll resupply food and hike back to Springer. 6 or 7 days total.

Going ultralite but on a budget so some stuff is still on the heavy side (clothing).

This hike is a shake-down for a solo AT Nobo thru 2012. 39 years old, 200lbs. Been hiking and camping a lot this summer and have done up to 24 miles in a day but 15 feels more comfortable. Mostly sections on the Foothills trail in SC/NC but did the 80 mile thru in July. Looking forward to getting on the AT for the first time!

Been using this equipment for awhile but looking forward to suggestions as I'm still learning and hoping to upgrade where I can.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=4788

Will prob carry more water after Blood mt but more worried about hunters? I also have a WL 20f underquilt but it will add another 20oz and a lot of bulk and don't think it will get much lower than 40f on this hike.

Thanks for looking everyone! This is gonna be fun! Jeff aka Loner

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Looks like a nice list with some thought-out gear. I just looked it over quickly, but I didn't see some things like compass, maps, and whistle listed.

Does your pad actually keep you warm down to freezing? I'm probably picturing a thinner pad than what you're using.

Are you using iodine or chlorine dioxide tablets? Iodine doesn't work on some protozoa, and chlorine dioxide effectiveness depends on water temperature. This probably isn't a concern if you select your sources carefully though. I'm just pointing it out as something to take into consideration.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reference to "geargrams". I have wanted a place to create gear lists and just registered with them.

Now I am going back and have a look at your list.

First question:

I also use a hammock a lot so is this reference to "Reflectics" what you are using to keep you backside warm? How low a temperature have you used this and were you warm? For your hike this October it may be warm enough. I did an October AT hike in this same area and about this time of the year, a few years ago. I was able to sleep on the ground with no sleeping pad 2 different nights of the hike.

You don't say when you plan to start your Thru-Hike but I would guess it will be much colder in the beginning.

Jeff Gray

@loner

Thanks for the reply AndyF! Good points and is what I was looking for…

Yes I left out the compass, used to take it all the time but never used it. Think the AT will be well marked. Maybe I'll take a tiny one.

I will photocopy the sections needed from the AT guide for GA so that will be my maps.

My backpack chest strap has a little whistle built into it. Kinda cool.

I'm still testing pads and such and have been fine so far to 40. Hope the Thermawrap vest will boost this? If the weather looks colder closer to go-time I'll bring my 20f underquilt.

Yes I'm been using iodine this summer with no probs. A filter would be nice but worried about bulk. What do you like to use?

Thanks again for taking the time to veiw my list and your comments.

Jeff Gray

@loner

Hey Bill, Yeah Geargrams is great and something fun that keeps me busy with so much downtime till starting the AT thru.

I've only be a hammock camper for this summer (approx 30 nights). Lots of time to test before the real trip. The pad I use is just a silver windshield reflector for your car. It's just bubble wrap with silver foil on both sides. So far the lowest it's been here in SC is around 40f but have been warm in my WM 32f sleeping bag wearing the lite silk baselayer and the Rocky thermals.

Sometimes I thread my hammock thru the sleeping bag so the bottom can loft. This seems to work better but have to wear a good fleece hat. Am looking forward to getting my real 20f hammock underquilt in the mail Monday. That should do the trick.

I'm open on the 2012 start date for my thru. Want to go as early as possible but want to avoid nights outside that are below 15f or so. Maybe mid to late March? Sure it can still get colder than this but will play it by ear.

Thanks for the comments!

Jason Robichaud

@j4design

Locale: dreaming of the mountains

How are you hanging your nano? I love hammock camping but haven't found a light strap system yet. I have the nano and with ENO Pro Straps it weighs out at 1 lb 1.7 oz

I don't see a camera. And you could also swap the knife for a razor blade tucked into a cereal box sleeve. It's not much weight but every little bit counts, I guest.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have a GT Nano as well…but my total weight including the straps is 10.8 ounces. A buddy of mine has the Eno straps and they are indeed heavy.

I have the following in that 10.8 ounce setup:
    – Grand Trunk Nano-7 Hammock (no carabiners)
    – 1 6-foot tree hugger made from 1" polyester strap with loops at both ends
    – 1 8-foot tree hugger (ditto)
    – 1 aluminium toggles for the Marlin Spike Hitch
    – 2 6-foot Whoopie Slings made from 7/64" Amsteel
    – 1 Dynaglide structural ridgeline
    – 2 micro cord locks (for holding my bugnet in place
    – 1 Cord lock with a light

You should be able to drop 7+ ounces from your current setup (more if you don't want the length of the tree huggers). I've found in the Pennsylvania woods that I sometimes need a longer hugger to go around a bigger tree where I'd like to put my hammock, which is why I carry two different lengths.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

For 3 season use, I've been either drinking it straight or bringing a heavy pump filter (First Need) depending on the guesstimated water quality of the location. I recently got a Sawyer Squeeze filter which is around 4 oz wet, including the 2 liter dirty water bag.

Jeff Gray

@loner

Hey Jason,

Got back from my trip and did have a fun time. 50 total miles/4 nights/5 days. Got pretty cold two nights (39 and 37) so am glad I added my 20f underquilt. Even had a good dusting of snow on Blood Mnt!

On the Nano I took out the big stock caribiners and use 12in continuous loops on each end tied to D-rings and hung by whoopie slings. I also use a Dutch biner on one side. I am going to make some short 1 1/2 foot tree huggers so that will add a few more ounces. Just for fun I carefully removed the GT logo patch and tags!

I did end up getting a one-use camera on the last day. Planned to pick one up for the hike at the Amicalola Falls visitor center but got there around 6 and they were closed!

Good idea on the razor blade knife, I'll play around with it.

Thanks for your comments!

Claire Walters

@shadowalpha

Locale: Southeast

jeff – looks like a good trip! I'm about an an hr & 15mins from amicolola falls and it did get cold even here!

when your budget allows a 3 season down underquilt & top quilt will give you good insulation & cut quite a few ozs. for below freezing temps I use a hammock sock which can add 10 degrees or so — block wind & dampness really well.

Jeff Gray

@loner

Thanks for the comments. Yeah that was a little colder than I expected but was actually happy to know that my gear could take it no prob as I have not been able to test down to those temps before. Plus learned that I'm fine with hiking/camping in the cold and that even after checking weather reports – anything can happen!

Good idea on the bag liner. I do have a silk Sea to Summit mummy liner. It's the small thin one but does help some. I'll take it later in the season.

Thanks again, Jeff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools