Topic

2012 Sierra Designs Mojo 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2012 Sierra Designs Mojo 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N29NgA7cqN8

Freestanding, 2 person, hybrid single / double walled shelter @ 2lbs, 11oz.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good find, David.

At the end of the video, they also list a Mojo 3.

David Ure

@familyguy

It is more like a 1+ shelter, but with the vent on the fly, the double walled construction, and external poles, it would be a charm to set up in high winds and rain.

Unfortunately, SD tents are notoriously short so this may not work for taller folk.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

The weight is a little on the heavy side, but I really like that it's relatively easy and painless to setup, especially in the rain. Getting in it might get the floor wet, but that's a small problem.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

I appreciate them trying to go lighter and getting into the "every ounce counts" mode of thinking, but no ultra-light backpacker would use that tent. I have a couple tents that are lighter than that, and I don't think I'll ever use them.

That being said, this is a great option for normal backpackers, and I'm sure it will sell quite well. I just think they are making a mistake by marketing it as a tent for "ultra-light backpackers".

David Ure

@familyguy

What lighter tents are there that have the same features?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

David, I think a comparable model with perhaps even more features is the Tarptent Double Rainbow, which weighs 2lbs 8oz. Looks to be lighter, 2 doors, more space and length, and is also a hybrid tent, that has free standing capability.
    The only thing that draws me to the Mojo is it's heavier and more durable tent materials…I guess you wouldn't have to worry about misting with a Mojo, and you could be sloppier with tent site selection as water bleed through from the floor would be non-existent (vs. a silnylon floor)

That's not to say that the Mojo is not a good looking tent. I'm amazed at the weight given the more traditional fabrics.

David Ure

@familyguy

I guess one could also include the Scarp 2, perhaps.

Nice to see choice, however. There are far too many shelters coming out for 2012 (including the TT Stratospheres) that probably means my wallet will be getting a bit lighter.

Zachary SCOTT

@zach

I had a discount to Sierra Designs during the time I was searching for a new shelter. I went back and forth with this tent balancing weight and other features against the competitors. Finally price won and I ended up getting the Mojo 3. I haven't had it out on any trips yet due to school. have set it up in the yard a couple times and am glad I went this route. Like Conrad said, the materials are much more durable than other competitors I have seen, and when pitched tightly, this tent is extremely stable. The wings that anchor down the sides definitely will help in bad storms. I also found that the wings can be buckled down in a manner to close up the mesh panels on either side if the storm gets too bad. I am pretty happy with it. Not as light as others, but much sturdier that most.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not bad, not bad, but i wouldn't pay 399 for it. I wouldn't even pay 300 for it. If it cost around 200, i would consider getting it for it's convenience and lowish weight.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Used it on the JMT last year with wife. We had good conditions – no rain – so I can't comment on waterproof-ness. One odd feature is that the door cants back over the interior space, so it seems like if it was dumping rain it would be very hard to get in or out w/o rain coming into the interior while the door is open. Since it didn't rain we could not test this theory. It's sort of hybrid single/double wall, but we didn't have any condensation issues (unlike, say, a GoLite Den). We are "compact" people and very friendly with one another – the tent is cozy, but I would not say tight – roomier than our old Den. I probably would have gone with a couple of tarps for the Sierra in late-Aug, which might have saved 12oz or so between the two of us, but wife likes the tent for added warmth and bug protection. It certainly sets up easy, and it seems like the materials are plenty sturdy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools