Topic

My UL Cooking Set

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My UL Cooking Set

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Holger Goehr

@holger

Today I want to show you my UL cooking set.It's nothing relly new, but a collection of many different ideas out of this and other forums and weights 175g on my old doggy kitchen scale.
    First all togehter.

All together

This is the opend cup / food bowl with the stove, fuel bottle, stove and wind shield.
    It serves as bowl, my coffe cup and measuring/storage device. the fuel bottle holds enough fuel to boil 4 full (700ml) cans.

Open Bowl

All contents. in Australia you can't get the Heineken kegs, but 750ml energy drink cans.
    This is my pot and drinkbottle. I lift it on the silicon wristband off the stove staight into the cosy which keeps it warm and allows me to handle the can without burning myself.

All contents

Stove Setup.

Stove setup

I first used a normal cat stove but found it pretty ineffective. This stove system is much more efficient, uses lot's less fuel, is spill prove (my nightmare with the cat stove).All the fuel is in the wick, there is no free fuel in the centre.

Stove

Stove burns in a nice contolled manner and boils 700ml in about 8 minutes.

Stove Burning

I also made a lid for the stove. Protects it, stores the fuel, stops evapuration and
    allows me to extinguish the stove.

Lid

Costs all up about $ 20, including 8litres of gatorade, a can of coke & deo, energy drink and reflectix.

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

do you have more information on how the stove was made. How does it vaporize the fuel?
    Michael

Holger Goehr

@holger

Between the pot stand (inner can / cut down deo spray, bottom partly removed.I chose this can beause it fits the bottom of the pot-can perfectly) and the outer can (coke) is a double layer of glasfibre/ Kevelar wick as it is used for fire twirling equipment. That wick soaks up the fuel. You light the wick and it burns a bit like a candle. Also the inner and outer can heat up and help evaporate the alcohol. A full filled catstove couldn't quite boil the 700ml and I had to refill. With 2/3 of the amount of fuel this stove easily boils the 700ml in my pot-can and burns for another 2-4 minutes. I think the reason for that is that the catstove's fuel boils and that is uneconomical. Yes it burns strongly, but there is just so much energy transferred to a tall can at any given moment, and in the catstove a lot of that energy was wasted, especially with a light breeze when all the flames accumulate on one side.
    The "ring of fire" in this stove is compared to that very stable and burns all the way around, transferring the heat evenly. It is a tad heavier, but after 1-2 cuppas the weight is saved in fuel. Just the facts that it is spill prove is worth the extra few grams to me. Knocking it over and having a big puddle of burning alcohol was always my biggest fear with all other alcohol stoves I build before.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

So you have a skinny can inside of the coke can. are there any ports at the bottom of the skinny can to allow the fuel to go under or does it just seep under due to not being sealed?

also do you seal the wick inside with anything or is it all just sitting in there.

looks really nice and if i could find some of that wick stuff it would be a fun build

Holger Goehr

@holger

Yes the inner /skinny can is just pushed in and is held there by the wick. It is a close fit. No ports or anything, it's not sealed.
    Make sure you keep the wick about 1mm under the edge of the outer / bigger can, that makes filling/ priming easier.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

If I can't find kevlar wick would normal Tiki torch or lamp wick work? i think that is mostly cotton. I have no idea where i could find poi stuff locally.
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3008025&kw=wick&origkw=wick&searchId=53126408254

Holger Goehr

@holger

Give it a go, can't see why not. I payed a couple of dollars for the wick, I needed not much, 1" maybe. I used 2' widht and foldet it along the centreline to doubble it up.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Yea.. 1" deep in the can. i figure if it works and holds up then my brother would make one too.. he uses pepsi/penny can stove all the time so he might like this design.

Michael Prouting

@aussiebushwalker

Locale: Macarthur, NSW, Australia

Holger,

Thanks for sharing your UL cooking set.

I am keen to try that stove design. Can I ask where you purchased the wick material from?

Regards,
    Michael.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools