Topic

Backpacking….small

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
PostedOct 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

For more than a year, my emphasis has switched from going lighter to going smaller. My gear is light enough, and now I want a tiny pack more than I want to save a few grams. Anyone else feel that way?

To this end, I had William Zila make me an Alter Ego Assault pack, which replaces a ULA Catalyst. I believe it's 1800 CI, but I was happy to find that it's still too big even with 4 liters of fluids and 4+ days of food. The only things that go in the side pockets are ~2 liter water bottles and a tent pole. I'm using a smaller light, but not losing any lumens. An inflatable air mattress is a lot smaller than a foam pad, and fits into the pack instead of strapped to the exterior, so I got one of those. I also just purchased a poncho, which will serve as the groundsheet for my Hexamid, and the extra rain protection it offers means I'll get rid of the garbage/compactor bag…I still use at least one stuff sack for organization though. I'm also switching to a smaller breakaway-blade box cutter, or maybe a razor blade. Fortunately ultralight equipment is usually very compact, so I haven't had to make many changes. One last change I may make is to replace my gravity filter system with the Sawyer SP131 for those trips when I'm not comfortable only using Aqua Mira. Actually, there's one more change I'd like to make: I want smaller clothing, and I'm working to go from XXL back down to M.

PostedOct 14, 2011 at 5:45 am

I agree completely on backpacking small and from the outset I've been focused on changing my traditional backpacking gear over to ultralight AND ultrasmall. You're right on regarding the inflatable pad even if it is a titch heavier. Smaller and more luxurious seems worth a few extra ounces to me. Luckily for me I'm already a size medium/small, I just need to make sure I keep it that way.

PostedOct 14, 2011 at 6:00 am

I agree with small and light.
It's harder to do that during the winter weather or colder weather, but in the summer I have been getting the bulk down to a very small level.
In the summer I don't even use a backpack. Everything I need, including the sleeping bag(Montbell UL Down Thermal Sheet) and the shelter(ID SilTarp) all fit into pockets in my very lightweight nylon fishing vest. Fishing vests have some big pockets.

I continue the use of the vest into the colder seasons, but I augment it with a GG Riksak which weighs only 2 ounces and is pretty small. It carries my larger bag(WM Alpinlite), and the vest pockets can carry some extra clothing, and so can the cargo pockets in the pants.

I like to hang the least amount of stuff on my back. It just feels better to me when it is distributed all over my body, in the pockets. Some people look at me hiking, and wonder if I left my overnight gear at home, because I have no traditional pack on.

PostedOct 14, 2011 at 6:10 am

Whether superlight, or just smaller and light, reduced size is great!

Plus 1 on the reduction of clothing sizes, but if you go from XXL to M, you'll be a shadow of your former self! Ha ha!

Ike Jutkowitz BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2011 at 6:43 am

I appreciate the sentiment and would generally pick small over big, all other things being equal, but I'm more a fan of simplicity. I try to avoid clutter, redundant gear, and anything with moving parts. I'll take a bulkier and less comfy cutdown foam pad over an inflatable, aquamira over a steripen even if I have to carry more water at times, a tarp over a tent, an alcohol stove over a more efficient canister stove, a compass and map over a GPS, sticks over stakes and poles. I'll usually accept the inconvenience of a poncho tarp over separate rain gear and tarp just the reduce the overall amount of stuff in my pack.

At the end of the day, I like not having to fiddle with or inflate anything, and I like having less things that can break, less things to get lost, less clutter, just less. This way, for me, the gear ends up taking a backseat to the experience.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

Rusty Beaver BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2011 at 8:10 am

"I appreciate the sentiment and would generally pick small over big, all other things being equal, but I'm more a fan of simplicity".

Two thumbs up!

I'm wearing a thrift store jacket as I type that is 2-3 sizes too big. Trying to figure out the different things I can easily do to make it "smaller"…and lighter. But, like you, simplicity is what I really appreciate. I get a real sense of satisfaction knowing just how few items and clutter I have in my pack yet having everything I need.

Ryan C BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Small is good. Years ago I used a 35L pack for dayhikes. Now I can go out for days with a 46L. I find myself more interested in smaller, less bulky items than weight as well. Eventually moving from tents and sleeping bags to tarps and quilts is really more about less bulk in the pack than weight for me. Shaving a few pounds just happens to be a benefit.

PostedOct 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Hey, Eugene,
Good for you!
When you end up getting new clothes, let me know what XXL stuff you want to unload. Hard finding light gear for "Sasquatches", ya' know.

M

PostedOct 14, 2011 at 3:22 pm

One tip: You can carry that razor blade (as well as a sewing needle) inside the mini-roll of duct tape that you probably already carry. Just unfold the top layer of duct tape, sticky the razor blade & needle into place, and fold the tape back in place.

PostedOct 15, 2011 at 11:00 pm

@Matthew

Sure thing! It's tough for us big guys. I've noticed that a lot of the best ultralight clothing isn't made in XXL. I guess thick hikers and ultralight is a small market.


@Elizabeth

Thanks for the tip. I actually want to Walmart today to look for either a miniature box cutter or razor blades and struck out on both. The trip wasn't a total loss since I picked up a mini bic lighter to replace my full size lighter.

I'm now considering picking up a Sawyer SP131 even more since my training hikes are proving that I may need to carry an extra liter on my next hike. This filter barely weighs more than an extra water bottle and Aqua Mira, but it compacts more, and it's much lighter and more compact than my current filter.

I'll also adjust the lashing on my pack to see if I can get it to cinch more tightly. That will add a little weight, but will be worth it if it makes my pack significantly smaller…and a side benefit is that it will ride better if I use the hip strap/belt.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedOct 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm

"I actually want to Walmart today to look for either a miniature box cutter or razor blades and struck out on both."

I found a miniature box cutter in a store called Daiso. These Japanese stores are more commonly found in California areas with a high Asian population.

The box cutter knife weighs about 0.25 ounce once I discarded the plastic cover.

–B.G.–

PostedOct 16, 2011 at 8:38 am

I considered an x-acto blade, but I think it'd be difficult and dangerous to use without a handle. I thought about using part of a toothbrush handle, cutting a groove into it and super glueing the x-acto blade into that, but I'd still need some sort of cover for the blade. Pen cap perhaps?

X-acto has another blade that looks like this:

The plastic bit should make it safer and easier to hold than the standard x-acto blade. Unfortunately I think the blade is so small that it would be tedious to cut open plastic bags and cut cords, which is primarily what I use a blade for while hiking.

PostedOct 16, 2011 at 8:59 am

I've found the Sawyer squeeze very fast, simple and straightforward. I made it even easier by taking two extra Playtpus closure caps, making holes in them, and then taping them together back to back with waterproof athletic tape (drug store brand) – weighs 8g. This replaces the squirt cap on the "clean" end of the filter, and allows much faster and simpler filtering of water from the Sawyer bag into a clean Platypus. It holds together quite well, I can (and have) peeled off some to cover a hot spot on a toe, etc. When I'm not using it, I leave it attached and keep it covered in a little baggie to keep it from getting contaminated by water coming out of the dirty end (since taking these photos, I have added a thick produce rubber band to keep the baggie on more securely). I also use half of a cheapo water bottle as a dedicated scoop and then pour the water into the Sawyer bag (almost impossible to get the water in there otherwise, and if I use a mug, I have to then disinfect the mug…).

Takes up more space than Aquamira or tablets, but there are lots of feral hogs, coyotes, and cattle where I hike, so I like having a filter option… And I like being able to drink the water right away (especially since I try to arrive at a water source "on empty")…Sawyer connector 1Sawyer connector 2Sawyer kit setup

PostedOct 16, 2011 at 9:43 am

"I guess thick hikers and ultralight is a small market."
Or a very "LARGE" part of a small niche :)

M

PostedOct 17, 2011 at 10:55 am

I ordered the Sawyer squeeze. I also found a box of razor blades squirreled away in one of my tool boxes. The battery is removed from my cell phone while hiking to prevent accidental battery drainage, and the razor fits perfectly in there. There's a little leftover room too…

James DeMonaco BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I've definitely embraced this over the last two years. I've finally (today, as I just picked the bag up) been able to get a weekends worth of gear into a golite ION (un-modded so far).

Have to say, the fact its so small and light really feels great on the back :)

Erik Danielsen BPL Member
PostedOct 19, 2011 at 3:48 am

One of my reasons for ultralight has been to get my weekend gear to fit in an ordinary-looking school-type backpack. There isn't much here in the way of real backpacking trails, so hiking through populated areas to connect wilderness areas and possibly doing a little stealth camping here and there is sometimes my mode of travel. Walking around with a typical backpacking pack (even most UL models) will get you a lot of looks, or worse, a chat with a policeman (this is still NY state, after all).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Loading...