Topic

A Beer, A Burger and an Adventure -Post Trip Noshing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports A Beer, A Burger and an Adventure -Post Trip Noshing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Beer!

Not sure where to put this post. If it is post trip…and dove tails nicely with a previous thread about post-hike rituals. :) So here it is….

Anyway, here is my biased take on some places to grab a burger and brew after an enjoyable trip. Others may hike further and faster, do gnarlier climbs and seem to float over the powder like an angel. But when it comes to places that serve beer, I am a true outdoor expert. :)

Check it out

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

For me is usually salt and vinegar Kettle chips and a Red Bull or Monster for the long usually late-night drive home. A beer and a burger would put me through a telephone pole (from the food coma).

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Anticipation of that meal is what makes the last day of any trek magical. Wish I lived in Colorado…

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Paul, checked out your Lost Creek link and saw you went to Crossroads. It's OK but you pass by an excellent place to eat on that drive (Goose Creek or Wigwam THs to 285). With some very good beers on tap. Plus they allow dogs on the deck (a good place for stinky hikers anyway). It's Zoka's in Pine Grove. Give it a try. zokas.com

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

That place changed owners this past summer or so I'm afraid. It now has a different 'theme' (Rt66/ garage mehanic moitif), the beers are not as good and the food is mediocre.

My reputation is at stake, so I have to change the posting. :)

Too bad about the place, it was convenient and good for any place when coming back along 285 and not just Goose Creek. C'est la vie! It is why I did not list it in this article. :(

OTOH, I am always up for checking out other places….. Good to know!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have been known to hike out a day early for a burger and a beer. Sometimes I will stash some beers at the car and then hit In N Out for a double double and fries done animal style

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

I've just read the rest of the article and some of your other trip reports. Great stuff.

Just went up to RMNP for a weekender fishing trip and stopped in at Oscar Blues for a pre-trip Gubna. It's even better on tap. After enduring a windy Friday night with gusts in the 40-50 MPH range and the forecast for the real wind to start Saturday evening, I knew fishing was out and bailed. Was wondering about a place to eat in Ned but didn't know about the First Street Pub. Too bad. Still had a good, late breakfast at Sundance.

My buddy flew out and did the 4 Pass Loop with me for my birthday in September. We did it as an overnight and all he kept talking about the second day was finishing in time to get to Leadville for a bacon wrapped filet at Quincy's. He and some friends were out for the Leadville 100 mountain bike race and went there a couple of times and loved it. All they serve are the filets and a vegetarian lasagna. And prime rib instead of filets on the weekend. It was something like $15 for a 15 oz steak. And it was excellent. Unfortunately, they have a really poor beer selection and I had to settle for a Fat Tire and he had a Newcastle. But the steaks were worth the detour to Leadville.

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I will heartily second Oskar Blues when heading back from RMNP or anywhere in the St. Vrain headwaters.
    For South Park trips, the little burger stand in the converted caboose in Jefferson (just below Kenosha Pass) has the juiciest burgers I have ever eaten. No beer, but a classic burger from a classic roadside stand – something that has just about disappeared in this country.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Had a good experience there when I went to Lost Creek Wilderness earlier this summer.

Rather than the caboose (which I agree is good), I went to the Gen store/ grill across the street.

Ate a burger, drank a coke and sat on the tailgate of my truck while looking at the Mosquito Range off in the distance.

Life was (is) good.

Lost Creek High Route
    (Always have a post-trip munchie entry. :) )

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

You Colorado boys tick me off!

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

"You Colorado boys tick me off!"

Head on out Adam. The hiking and the beer are fine!

Paul, thanks for the pointer to that trip report. That just went on my to do list.

I've never stopped at Jefferson once but have been tempted by the caboose. Now I do know to give it a try. Thanks guys.

Another 2 non-beer places to stop for some great food are Hog Heaven BBQ in Bailey and the Wing Wagon in Aspen Park. Hog Heaven is on the right after you've crested Crow Hill. It's the building set back off the road a bit kind of across from the new Loaf and Jug. The Wing Wagon is right along the north side of 285. When you come to the last of the 3 bridge overpasses in Conifer, exit as soon as you go under and then go right, right, right to get to WW. Both places have excellent food and since I live close by, I just phone it in and get it take home. Always plenty of good beer there.

BTW, all you traveling 285 are welcome to stop by to say hello and have a beer. We're just 3 miles off of 285. The door is always open and the beer is always cold!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools