Topic

How much snow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning How much snow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Anybody been up the sierra's (between desolation-yosemite) this last week? How much snow fell last week? We are thinkin of goin up this weekend and would like to be prepared

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

We were around Indian Rock/North Dome in Yosemite this past weekend. Snow was pretty slushy on the trail, but not too deep. (You will want waterproof footwear!) Depending on melt and exposure, depth was anywhere from a foot to a few inches, or just patches on exposed granite.

(The ranger at the permit station Friday said the Cathedral Lakes trail had about a foot of snow.)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Jason, I can't report anything about that area north of Yosemite. However, I've been getting tuned in for the weather just south of Yosemite. Apparently last week about one foot of snow was dumped on Mono Pass near Rock Creek. Hopefully that is melting now.

The current plan is for a bunch of us do a Trans-Sierra Dayhike over Oct. 22-23. One group starts from the west side on Saturday morning and hikes 22 miles over to the east side where they are met by the second group. The second group starts on Sunday and hikes the 22 miles over to the west side, and each group drives the other group's car back home.

The only thing that is worrisome is the weather and corresponding trail conditions.

I figure that if there is one inch of snow or less, then I will wear low-cut trail runner shoes. If there is two inches of snow or more, then I will wear ankle-high boots with something like Yak-Trax and with low gaiters.

–B.G.–

Eli .

@feileung

I hiked out of Echo Lakes last Sunday. The trail was dry sometimes and snow covered others. Some places were very slushy. Unless more snow fell this week I'm betting the same trail is much drier by now.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jim,

I was up at Smith Lake out of Wright's Lake this Wednesday night (Oct 12). The ranger said they got 14 inches at Wright's Lake in the last storm. Most is melted off but there are patches 1-4 inches deep in the trees. Above 8000 ft there is lots of snow up to maybe 10 inches deep especially in shady areas or in areas with northern exposure. There's lots of water running down the trails. It's not enough to make you stay home, but it makes finding the trail hard. At Smith Lake it was hard to find a spot to pitch a tent because anything flat usually had snow on it.

Smith Lk snow

Eli .

@feileung

Here's a pic from Echo Lake.

Echo Lake

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools