Topic

DIY candy bars, on the trail!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition DIY candy bars, on the trail!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Perhaps this has been done before, it is new to me.

Abstract: Couple of gooey layers topped with a chewy layer.

Gooey ingredients: Peanut butter, Nutella, chocolate syrup, caramel topping for ice cream, marshmallow topping, or fruit jelly

Chewy ingredients: Granola, seeds, nuts, dried fruit

I started with a dollar store peanut butter jar (with a tight fitting lid) that is shallow enough for my short spoon to reach to the bottom. The jar had about 3/4 of an inch of PB left in it. I added an equal amount of Nutella chocolate sauce and went on the trail. There I added a few spoonfuls of granola, dipped my spoon vertically to get some of both gooey layers on it, and scooped up some of the granola–candy bar flavors on the spoon. I stopped when the granola was gone. The next meal's dessert had dried cherries with the PB and chocolate. My next mix will be chocolate, caramel, marshmallow, and peanuts–almost Snicker ingredients.

Yes, the plastic jar has some weight but most ingredients are high calorie which reduces that disadvantage. To save weight, I try to only carry foods of 125 or more calories per ounce = 2000 calories per pound.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You know, if you took the gooey ingredients and rolled the mixture in the chewy ingredients, you could make them into bars. Then you could carry them in wax paper, plastic wrap, or plastic bags to save weight.

–B.G.–

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Back in my university days I made an "ice cream" topping for all my friends that used chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter. I put it in little jars and gave this as gifts. I found out later that a couple of my girl-friends just ate it straight out of the jar with a spoon. I should try and find the recipe again. Anyway, your post had me reminiscing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools