Topic

Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Merrell, etc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Merrell, etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Hey all,
    Just stopped by local Marshalls store (owned and operated by TJ Max) and found a bunch of good stuff for sale:

Patagonia Merino Wool lightweight hiking socks – $4.99
    Mountain Hardware Octans fleece/jacket – $49
    Merrell NTR Seismic trail runners – $49
    Merrell hiking shoes with waterproof membrane – $59

and other good stuff if look around the store. These may not be the screaming deals from SAC, but they are not bad deal by any means, especially since you can try the stuff at the store.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

a lot of the Marshalls/TJMaxx stuff ends up being regional. Definitely worth checking, but especially so for those near where you found them.

Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

Just a warning. The Patagonia wool socks, in my experience do not last very long at all. I wear wool socks everyday and the patagonia ones started dying within a few months. For everyday where the redhead brand seems to wear better. Even at $4.50 a pair i would pass on them.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Steven, the TJmaxx's in the Boston area carry darn tough brand wool socks. I don't believe I've ever seen them in west coast stores. Maybe because Darn Tough is Vermont based?

I've also seen ice breaker socks in the Boston area.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

I've seen the darn tough socks out here, but never icebreaker. I need to visit the one by me more often. I always say that, I've definitely gotten some great deals, but never do =(. I wonder if they get any of the icebreaker baselayers? I didn't think any stores around Boston sold icebreaker.

Marshalls/TJMaxx are really a bargain hunters dream, you never really know what you'll get but sometimes it's a big score.

but yea, I've found that the stuff they carry is regional since a lot it comes from other stores over-purchases, or companies trying to clear out old stock, etc. this usually comes up on fatwallet and slickdeals' "hot deals" forums.

David Housley

@delilo

I scored a nice Smartwool zip turtle at TJ Maxx, 30 bucks.

Laurens Wit
    BPL Member

@laurenswit

Steven, the TJmaxx's in the Boston area carry darn tough brand wool socks. I don't believe I've ever seen them in west coast stores. Maybe because Darn Tough is Vermont based?

The Wimps out west are to intimidated to buy the darn tough socks :}

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Given all the different stores: Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, (other probably depending upon geo) – is one better than the other or you guys hit them all up?

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Ross is on the lower end and usually doesn't get the nice stuff. TJ Max gets best stuff, then Marshalls i believe. But you have to act fast if you find something, as they have limited sizes and quantity.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

also, TJMaxx around me seems to have more home goods whereas Marshalls has more clothes. But that may be more store-to-store. I have a few TJ's and Marshalls around and try and stop in when I pass by them. you never really know what you'll find so it's definitely a lot of miss with an occasional hit.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Steven, the TJ maxx in Brookline/Allston (harvard st) had the icebreakers. But this was maybe almost a year ago?? It's kind of slim pickings there, but I also swing by when I'm in the neighborhood. I've never seen wool baselayers there…but I have seen ton's of Ed Hardy T-shirts :/

BTW, according to the BPL map, I just found out that we live very closeby! Check it out.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Computer glitch-redundant post-Deleted

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Computer glitch-redundant post-Deleted

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

hahaha! in theory we've probably seen each other walking the streets or riding the T!

yea, that's the TJmaxx I usually go to. I must have "just" missed them!

let me know if you ever wanna go for a hike! you going on the North East meetup hike next weekend?

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just hit TJ Maxx on Seattle's Eastside and they had Icebreaker mid- and mountaineering- weight socks for $7.99 – looking at BC.com other than being seconds they appear to be current models. I did have to hunt through the socks quite a bit to find them – at first glance didn't see anything worthwhile.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

that's an excellent deal. I may have to stop in to our local spot this AM and see what happens.

I love their socks, much higher quality that smartwool. can't compare to Darn Tough as I haven't tried theirs yet, though if they have those I will grab a pair since they get talked about a lot.

Dan Ransom
    BPL Member

@danransom

Locale: Utah

i've had a lot of luck with teko, smartwool, and occasionally icebreaker socks at the TJmaxx here in Salt Lake. seems like they get decent socks pretty regularly…

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

@Konrad scored some in the Allston TJ's. they have a few pairs left. I wear mediums but they also have a fair number of L left, assorted amongst the hiking, running, and skiing styles. They also had a few pairs of extra thick patagonia wool socks and a fair number of darned tough as well. I think I walked out with 6 pairs total (two for running).

I also scored a Calphalon "tri-ply" stainless 10" pan that i've been looking to add to my arsenal =P

Doug DuBree

@ilbpr

Locale: Midwest

They finally put out the winter stuff at our local TJ MAxx store. Scored some Icebreaker, and Darn tough socks. Otherwise it was mostly Columbia and Snooz jackets. They had a few MH thin jackets in smaller sizes though they were in bright red. Of course as soon as I got home with 6 pairs of socks my lovely wife laid claim to half of them, claiming she hardly has any.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

In my area I've found at TJ Maxx after reading this thread

Darn Tough socks ( My first!)
    Icebreaker socks (how are they ?)
    Patagonia socks

MH fleece jacket $50, but not of any model that I know – there was a hexagon pattern on the outside.

Under armour coldgear metal tactical mock $50 / 8.4oz size S with tags – tried it on and it seemed to be really warm, and vented well under the arms/sides.

Marshalls
    Only thing I found was
    Under Armour coldgear hoods for 13

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

I loooove icebreaker socks. I haven't tried the darn tough's yet, but they're the best of the wool socks I've tried by far. to be honest, the darn tough socks look to be equal to the wool quality and manufacturing quality, so high hopes for them! loooove my IB gear…

the MH fleece is probably the "Mountain Hardwear Octans Fleece Jacket", as they've been clearing them out (I got mine on Steep and Cheap for $52 after shipping. I enjoy mine.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

I found them on REI outlet and came back here to post but looks like you already did.

http://www.rei.com/product/817023/mountain-hardwear-octans-fleece-jacket-mens-2010-closeout

$50 at TJ Maxx

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Steve,

The Darn Tuff Socks are great socks. My girlfriend used a pair for almost the entire thru hike and then eventually had to replace them in Maine. The thing is it wasn't because of the usual reason of wearing out the sock in spots. They lasted so long that they began to stink to high heavens and no amount of washing would help. The Socks are almost to durable!

Also is that a thing, for girls to steal our socks, she does it to me all the time claiming the same reason, she doesn't have any.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

They definitely live up to the name! you should have mailed them back to Darn Tough with a note "only lasted on the AT from Georgia to Maine after wearing them everyday, but can't get rid of the stink of human odor." that would make for an excellent advertising campaign.

I haven't put that many miles on any of my IB socks, but my experience with smartwool and a couple other "cheap" brands is they start wearing out and pill'ing heavily quite quickly.

Clint, let me know if you want me to check the TJMaxx near me for some Darn Tough's for her, just let me know what size to look for. They're only a few blocks away so it's no biggie.

Also, I checked a week or so ago and didn't see any Mtn Hardwear jackets =(

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools