Topic

Backpacking Checklist (Gear List): 3-Season, 3-Day

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Backpacking Checklist (Gear List): 3-Season, 3-Day

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to:

Backpacking Checklist (Gear List): 3-Season, 3-Day

Revised and updated for 2011.

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

It looks good.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

never mind

Michael Johnstone
    BPL Member

@mjohnstone

Locale: Midwest

I appreciate the updated suggestions, Ryan. I searched for items in your book and previous articles in BPL, but they are difficult if not impossible to find. Your easy to find examples are a great help. Thanks.

David Ure

@familyguy

No bug protections? Or did I miss it?

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

Ryan – a canister stove! you're getting soft in your old age. No seriously, I carry one too. they are really convenient on shorter trips.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

A canister stove generally wins out in weight versus an alcohol stove on trips longer than 2-3 days when cooking for two, and 5ish days when cooking solo.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

@Ryan: Thanks for the updated list.

@David
    : There's DEET on the list, but no bugproof shelter. That bugs me too. ;)

Michael Byrne

@mikerbyrne

Locale: New York

Great list thanks. Do you think the Gossamer Gear LT4 poles are robust enough for winter camping and backcountry skiing? I have a set of black diamond alpine carbon cork which are robust enough for winter activities but are 16 oz.

Mike B

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Looks like an all around solid list to me. Good article.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

> A canister stove generally wins out in weight versus an alcohol stove on trips longer than 2-3 days when cooking for two, and 5ish days when cooking solo.

But this was a 2-night, 3-day list. I'll take a canister with Scouts or in winter.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Yeah, it is. It really comes down to number of boils, but Ryan REALLY likes the new Sol Ti.

David Ure

@familyguy

I used one on a recent test. We had two folks that were showing early signs of hypothermia. The easy set up, quick to ignite, and rocket fast boiling was a godsend – instant hot food, instant hot drinks.

(don't let Eric see this note, but I like mine)

Rich Mendelowitz
    BPL Member

@mendelowitz

Locale: Arlington, VA

Wonderful list and well thought out presentation. Thank you

How about a knife. I never leave home without one no less head out onto the trail without one.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Nice work lads! That's a solid, easily accessible list that I'd be perfectly happy to use without any substitutions.

(but I'd swap out one stuff sack for a head-net…)

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

For bug protection, just replace or supplement the ground cloth with a net-tent and you're all set; depending on the destination the 5-7oz hit is completely worth it for the comfort provided (no one wants to wake up covered in mosquito bites). Or do what I do and try a bivy – I've been using a full net hood Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy plus Golite poncho tarp for most of this past season and the combination has been great.

Benefits of the bivy are many:
    – you can avoid setting up your tarp/shelter altogether when the weather is cooperative. Cowboy camping is something everyone should experience at least once.
    – bivy adds warmth/wind resistance
    – bug protection works
    – additional spray protection in inclement weather (this becomes more important when using a small tarp)

Cons:
    – ingress/egress can be difficult when vertical space is limited (ie., under a low-pitched tarp)
    – not necessarily the best solution for those who have trouble with the concept of sleeping in a relatively enclosed space.

Perry H
    BPL Member

@hphock

Thanks for the update. I have referenced these lists many times.

Right now my only hiking partner is my 11 yr old son, so there are things we carry that make life easier for him and I (any two of the three: deck of plastic cards, a tiny word search book and pencil, yatzee), as well as things 'he can do as we setup camp' The platypus gravity is one of those things he can easily do. We leave the clean bag at home, filtering into the his platy 1 liter and my 1/2 liter bags.

I love my Ti Alc stove, but I find I go through a lot of fuel to heat enough water for my son and I. So I pack a pocket rocket and GSR 2 person for him and I. One thing we have done to make life easier is elminating the bowls, cups, and sporks that came with the GSR, and carry Ti cups, and Ti sporks so we eat out of the bags.

I know I'll get hissed at, but I love my Tarptent (Henry Shires).

I NEVER thought I would say this, but the TP can be left behind. I forced myself on the AT to leave it behind and to be honest, I'm still alive. My son still carries his TP though… The only thing was trying to find something in Yellowstone, other than the shrub brush that was all around us, when the urge hit. I tried to use a whistle pig, but couldn't catch one. (obv. joking).

I know someone will say use a stick, but I carry a metal trowl (homemade) to dig the hole, not all soil is easily dug in with a stick! Our food tends to be heavier… I guess we just like to eat.

Väinö Vähäsarja
    BPL Member

@vvsrj

Great list! But LMF Ti Spork?!? You could save whopping 8 g by switching to Spork Original! :D

David Link
    Spectator

@sierracanon

Re: Merino wool shirts. I usually carry a short-sleeved light or mid-weight merino t-shirt, and then merino armwarmers (Smartwool) which are lighter than carrying a separate long-sleeved top. Works great.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Missing a few things that most people carry: Extra pair of socks in "Other Clothing." Bug protection while sleeping. In "Other," no bandanna or piece of pack towel. And I never understood why nearly all gear lists omit a camera yet show photos of the trip!

Interesting to see the differences between this list and the one in "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping" (2006). "Mid" and ground sheet instead of tarp and bivy, framed pack instead of frameless, ball cap instead of wide-brim sun hat, much heavier stove and cook pot combo.

It did give me a few ideas to pare half a pound off my base weight, though!

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I think I would change out the slim-fitting support briefs. Is that the same as tighty-whiteys? : )

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

This is obviously a male gear list. We females need to substitute our own undies!

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks Ryan – the list strikes a nice balance of function, versatility, comfort and weight.

Where is Mike Clelland?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ah, the ole "camera is journaling gear" or "camera is always being carried" routine where that weight has been transferred either off a gearlist (have seen on even some SUL lists) or transferred to carried weight.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

If it's good enough for Ryan does this mean everyone can not count camera gear? SUL here I come!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools