Topic

Budget layers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Budget layers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Anyone got good suggestions for budget layers? I gotta get some layers for me and the whole family, and Patagucci Capilene, while super sweet, will only go so far in the budget. I see EMS carries Techwick, which seems like good stuff, but haven't seen it in person. Ideas?

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

costco has paradox merino wool poly blend stuff for 25$ its really nice great moisture management and less stink then plain poly check cabelas bargain cave as well

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

Hey,

I find Goodwill can be a good source for layers, especially for fleece layers. In addition to Costco, I just saw a $5 fleece jacket at Winco. I don't know what it weighs or how warm it is, but it's definitely affordable. Also, military surplus wool clothing from the Korean and Vietnam Wars are a good bet; search "military wool" on ebay and you'll get quite a few sub $10 hits.

But Goodwill is a good place in my opinion; good variety and you can check everything out in person, plus have everyone try them on. Pack your digital scale if you really want to UL nerd-out.

Jeff

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Thanks for the ideas guys!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Target and Walmart have some good very affordable base layers. I haven't found much of anything at the surplus stores around here, and it definitely wasn't worth it after all the gas I used driving to all of them. Military surplus is insanely expensive and has a poor selection. Hopefully people elsewhere have better luck. Military surplus online gets a lot better, and I've had decent luck there.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Like Eugene said, def check out walmart and target. They have some decent synthetic base layers (check out the stuff made by the brand "Champion"). Also check out tjmaxx, Ross, marshalls. I buy lots of merino socks from tjmaxx

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Being in Seattle – have you been to Second Ascent? It's in Ballard district of Seattle.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

…Campmor! They offer Terramar base layers at often steeply-discounted prices. I've seen separates for under $10 apiece at times…

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

For a good mid insulation layer, you can't get much better for the price than a military surplus wool sweater. Not the lightest, but very good if you have it on you most of the time.
    Not techy I know, sorry if this is boring.
    This
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=604864
    or this
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=591924
    20-40 bucks for quality gear that will keep you warm when wet.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

STP, campsaver, department of goods all have yuppie brand name gear at deep discounts

so do many department, sporting good stores … theres often rack of MH, NF, Columbia etc gear here for sale … and some are actually decently light

WMT, target, etc … are great for basic things like underwear and performance shirts

you can also find good deals at LLBean, lands end, etc … for their branded stuff on sale

basically underwear is underwear as long as it feels comfortable … marketing mind tricks aside …

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

When you're at goodwill, check the sweater racks. 100% merino, $5 a pop…

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Yes, and I found a great cashmire sweater at Goodwill for $5 and so warm!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools