Topic

Down Quilt Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down Quilt Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I'm looking into making myself a baffled down quilt for three season use. What I have decided is to make it without a fixed footbox and to have about 2.25" of loft. I understand how much down I need, but deciding on the length of fabric is where I want some help.

From making a synthetic quilt, I know that I need it to be 72" long when finished if I want to close the footbox and still comfortably use it. So I am planning for a 74" long finished quilt.

So here is my question. When I am cutting the fabric, how long should I be aiming for?

I know on the two ends I will need to add length to the shell and liner to make up for not having a baffle there, so that adds a bit over 2" in length plus 1" for seam allowances (for both ends). Should I make the baffles only 2" tall and have down expand and eat up length, or should I have baffles at 2.25"? Will the expanding down still take up some of that length then?

This is my first attempt at a down piece, so any thoughts on any of the above information would be really appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools