Topic

Karo Step Mitten

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Karo Step Mitten

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Hello all, I had some left over M90 and decided to sew a karo step down mitten. I used a 1.5/.5 grid. It was my first time using the karo step style. I like it a lot. Very easy to spread the down. I would not have know about this style without this forum and would like to thank everyone for sharing ideas here.

Weight is .535 ounces. I just need to make the other now.TopBottomWorn

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Cool project, but I gotta ask; Why karo this?

Is it baffled or sewn through? If it's sewn through, you've basically just reduced the warmth of this by having all those stitch lines, if it is baffled karo walls, then it's a good exercise certainly, but a lot of work for something that really doesn't need that complexity at all.

Honestly a mitt is so small, you don't need any separations at all except at the thumbs imho.

Either way, cool project, but I'm going to probably file you in the masochistic folder. :p

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I assumed some type ofbaffle would be needed solely because of hand movement. The fewer baffles the more down that will shift when your hand is clinched. Karo step was a nice compromise in having fewer cold spots but better down retention. That was my reasoning at least.

Also was looking to test how a Karo Step works. It works as it should.

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

slick looking lobster claw you have there

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Haha thanks bro I thought the resemblance was pretty uncanny myself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools