Topic

Home-decor idea: gear hung on wall with mood lighting like REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Home-decor idea: gear hung on wall with mood lighting like REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    christopher reeves

@ionstram

So I am single, and live in a studio loft with high ceilings and bare white walls in a big city.

I naturally like minimalist environments, but even I am getting tired of just a stainless steel dining table, a black couch and nothing else for decorations.

Also, like many guys I'm mentally challenged when it comes to decor.

So I hit upon an idea to both solve my gear storage problem and liven up my bare walls: put up some cool shelves & hooks and accent lights, and store my backpacking/skiing/cycling gear as decorations on the walls.

Has anyone else done this? If so post up some pictures!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Do it! Embrace your Man Cave and don't forget to hang your down sleeping bags.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Excellent idea. However I will tell you that matrimony usually entails drastic changes to the man cave, and gear movement to the garage is inevitable.

For some other cool ideas, many Land Rover showrooms have some really cool decors. Just don't look at the price tag on the large Range Rovers, you might have a heart attack.

tommy d

@vinovampire

Nice idea…. but your gear must be much cleaner and shiner than my dirty, old stuff. The same thought has crossed my mind, but when I look at the items I have in my pack, I just can't imagine any of it on a wall.

It sounds like my apt is somewhat similar to yours. What my GF and I have done is have some large prints and maps laminated and wood mounted. It's way cheaper and looks much nicer than framed prints and maps, and much more modern.

The process is explained really well at this website: http://silvermapleeditions.com/services.html

What I think would look best would be (a) a huge, laminated wood-mounted map of a favorite backpacking or ski area, (b) a pair of ice-axes (maybe one modern and one antique), and (c) some wood-mounted prints from some of your trips. I would leave the gear in well marked tubs, ready to be used.

Good luck with your design!

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Do it NOW! While you're still single! You won't get that chance again. LOL

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

I did that in the dorm at college, and in my room when I moved back home.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Used to do that with skiis. Stopped when I got married. Love the idea though.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The first thing that came to mind is: GET A LIFE! {{{{grin}}}}

Outdoor photos would be nice. Found art and assemblage like Picasso's bull head from a bike seat and handlebars would be nice, but as much as I like industrial design, I prefer to see my gear hanging in a basement store-room.

Picasso

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools