Topic

Whats the lightest chair?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Whats the lightest chair?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Holger Goehr

@holger

I am searching for the lightest camp chair available, but I want to sit off the ground ( Bullants hurt). So Therm-a-rest chair cover is out. (And I use the neoair which doesn't work that well with the cover).
    So off the ground and with back rest.
    Can't find anything under 2kg.
    Thanks

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

A hammock which you already use for sleeping in. :)

(and I actually can't sleep in them, but they're nice for those who can)

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I (and all of my buddies) carry the Thermarest LiteSeat. We usually find logs or rocks upon which we can park our butts. It inflates instantly with just a puff of air and is very comfortable (in addition to being good to take to stadium events).

I sleep in a hammock and, while I do spend time sitting in it, often I don't have trees near where I would want to sit where I could hang my hammock. We usually eat together (sometimes around a fire ring) and it would be tough to participate in the conversations if I was limited to where appropriate trees are.

There were some postings about a 3-legged carbon fiber/cuben stool a couple of months ago. That looked really impressive and if it were on the market would probably be in my gear closet, but I don't know if it would meet the OP's needs.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"There were some postings about a 3-legged carbon fiber/cuben stool a couple of months ago. That looked really impressive and if it were on the market would probably be in my gear closet, but I don't know if it would meet the OP's needs."

A wonderful, lightweight chair, yes, but it doesn't have back support, so it wouldn't meet the OP's needs.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

The Jerry Chair.

Check it out on hammockforums.net

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

The Jerry Chair doesn't sit up off the ground & therefore wouldn't meet the OP's specs.

Personally, I'd snatch up 3 legged stool sans back if it weighed in the neighborhood of 8 ouces or less. But alas, my searcheshave never found that gold at the end of the rainbow.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

What do people think about the Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair? It certainly meets the OP's requirements. Though I'm not sure how he feels about the design (you have to use your legs and balance).

http://www.alitedesigns.com/monarch-camp-chair-5

They have really good reviews on REI

http://www.rei.com/product/792007/alite-monarch-butterfly-chair

I know they aren't ultra-lightweight, but I m considering it for a lightweight/comfort set-up

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I tried one out in the store a few months back and put it on my wishlist. I planned on picking one up at the REI garage sale a couple weeks ago but each one I found had the lightweight aluminum tube splinter at one of the hub joints. It's fine if you get it at REI and use their fantastic return policy, but be aware that it could damage in the field. But they are comfy!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

On our last hike, there were four of these among the five of us. Stripped of it's bag, and packed with two scrunchy rubber bands, it weighs 536 g / 1 lb 2.9 oz.

One of the chairs suffered a broken strut, probably from not being fully inserted into the hub.

Aside from that, is was a worthwhile luxury item, and very comfortable.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Michael, you're right that it isn't off the ground by itself. Adding a ccf sitpad is technically off the ground, but after re-reading, I think he wants higher than that.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I love mine and it's very comfortable. At first, it feels a bit awkward to get into the chair but after a 3 or 4 times, it's very easy – it's just that feeling of going to sit and not feeling anything there yet because the chair is so low. But once you've done it, you don't even think about it. Once you are seated, there isn't much work needed to balance; just stretch your legs out or keep your knees bent. Another thing I just realized about this chair is that because it is low to the ground, it's easy to set drinks down next to you without having to lean over like you would on a higher chair.

Mike

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

This chair looks pretty appealing – I have a bunch of the Thermarest chairs in my possession, but I'm just not comfortable in them for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

I have a silly question about the Butterfly chair for those of you who have one…Could you attach your trekking pole (or poles) to the back to give you a 4-legged chair? The trekking poles would be for, like when you're hiking, balance only so you wouldn't be putting a lot of weight on them. I was thinking it might give you that "I won't tip backwards now" assurance.

When do I really like to have a chair in camp? When I'm eating and the thought of having to balance while eating isn't so appealing. I may need to buy one at REI to try it myself, but if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd appreciate it.

Kevin Lutz

@mtntrailrunner

"Could you attach your trekking pole (or poles) to the back to give you a 4-legged chair?"

The simple answer is no, barring major modifications that add weight. If you want a comfortable "real" chair that is off the ground, just get the Monarch and eat the weight penalty. I love mine. You can go lighter but you won't be as comfortable.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

We ate meals in our Butterflies without any more problem then the occasional dribble – but that would have happened anyway with the crew there!

I did try leaning back against a large log in mine at one point, and found it very comfortable indeed!

This is truly a luxury item, as is any chair, and I won't be carrying it on a regular basis. I brought it along as most of the guys were spending a lot of time fishing, and I didn't feel like fishing – so I brought a Kindle instead! The chair and Kindle, under the pines, was a great way to relax!

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Hi Holger,

+1 on the Slinglight chair http://www.slinglight.com/

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

+2 on the Slinglight. I liked the Monarch Butterfly when trying it out and was going to get it when I read about the Slinglight and went with it. It's nice to have a real chair to sit in at the end of the day. My bad back says it's well worth the 18 oz. People on the trail often laugh at the site of it on my pack until I tell then how much it weighs.

But I should get an endorsement fee for all the advertising I give them.

Slinglight

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can buy hammocks in the 7oz range, like the Grand Trunk Nano 7, or re-rig an inexpensive one like the Grand Trunk Ultralight. It is perfectly feasible to have a fully rigged hammock that is under a pound.

Of course you need a couple trees or other suitable anchor points. That leaves you with a comfortable chair and a lounge too. Taking a mid-day nap in your hammock after a long series of switchbacks is the ultimate in hiking indulgences. You could throw all caution to the wind and actually spend the night in one too :)

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

I heard a lot about the Monarch about a month ago and figured I would give them a try. I really like it and they are way more comfortable than a stool. I have been sitting in mine to tie flies for this weekends Tenkara trip. If things go good we are likely going to start stocking them in the next couple weeks.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I have the same desire that I believe the OP does, and that is I want to sit at chair height. My legs are 60 years old each, and while I can still walk on them all day, they complain a lot when I have to get up off the ground, or nearly so. To me, that's more important than having a back.

So I am looking at REI's 3 legged stool. For my goals, it sounds like a better fit.

That stool, the Monarch, and the slinglite all weigh 18-19 ounces. Pretty much a tie there.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I use a monarch butterfly several times a week at my daughter's soccer practices and games. I'm also a good bit over 200lbs and I've often got another little one climbing on my lap and I've had no durability issues. I do wonder though how light it could be with a little dyneema and carbon fiber treatment though…

As for it's usage, my main purpose for getting it is because my knees hurt badly if sitting on the ground for any length of time, esp. when trying to get up from sitting cross legged. I have the normal folding soccer family chairs but they are big, bulky, and set me too tall to take good soccer action photos. So, for a while I was sitting on the ground, and bringing a cut piece of ccf pad to keep my butt off the wet grass.

I guess my only negative criticism would be regarding the reclined position. It's not ideal for camp chores like tending to your dinner, or even eating your dinner. I'm a horrible dribbler when eating reclined, but the reclined position is very comfortable for relaxing in, as compared to a camp stool that sits up upright. Oh, and also the narrow placement of the feet. If you are on soft or uneven ground, it can be a bit finicky getting it to sit without feeling like you are tipping over.

Using your feet to balance yourself is absolutely a non-issue. I never have even come close to tipping over backwards.

BM

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

DSC00472

Lean pack against rock, tree, or support with pole(s) if possible. Sit on sleeping pad. Sleeping bag optional to keep legs warm. When tired, just go to sleep in bag or quilt. If using torso pad, move pack under legs to sleep. Added weight = 0 grams.

:)

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I think once you're in the category that you want back support, it's down to the Monarch Butterfly and that Slinglite chair.

Personally, I'm either right at or over the load spec for the Monarch and I also like to site upright in order to cook or eat in my "no drips hit me" arch that has been perfected eating greasy hunks of heaven from the roach coaches, so I like the 3-legged stools. I particularly prefer not to sit on the wet/cold/dirty (gasp) ground and the stool is great for that.

The REO stool is just about right at 16 oz once you ditch the stuff bag and such. That's darn light for something that useful.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You can carry a piece of fabric and rig a good camp chair from a tripod of 3 wood poles.
    Here is a video of a guy making one with a poncho: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjBtE43fvs

Can't get much lighter than that.

Holger Goehr

@holger

Thanks for all the replies. Monarch and Sling look interesting. Here in Australia we have too many BIG ants, and other insects & spiders to sit on the ground.
    Sling looks good, a bit big (bulky) and no easy internet shopping…(not even email..)
    Monarch looks good, light and no so bulky, but some seem to hate and some to love it? Iā€™d love to try it. Worry about sitting on soft sand with it to.
    3 legged chairs I used before, but find them uncomfortable after a while (men know where) and with an average back a backrest would really be appreciated.
    What is the link to the Carbon Chair?
    Thanks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools