Topic

Hike It. Like It.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Hike It. Like It.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hi everybody. I thought I would take a second to share my blog, which you might find a good way to waste time at work ;)

http://www.hikeitlikeit.com

It's a blog of a different flavor I suppose. It's mostly gear related, some interviews, and some interactive tools. No trip reports as I'm not much of a writer, and only a mediocre landscape photographer. The website itself is a work in progress… lots of things to tweak, but it's functional enough.

Most recently I developed this interactive directory of manufacturers. What's there now is just the start. If there are suggestions for additions, features, or corrections I would love to hear them. The directory will soon grow to include all major 'retail' manufacturers as well.

There are some other things cooking that I think will be useful and fun, plus more interviews, gear p0rn, etc… There are no ads or affiliate links.

I also have a related project coming down the pipe soon, which I will announce here when it's time.

I hope you enjoy, and feedback (on anything) is definitely welcome.

Jacob.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Like it.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Thanks David :)

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

…made a little update of the manufacturer directory to add Google +1 buttons. It's a nice way to keep tracks of things you like, but more importantly when you +1 them it improves their search engine ratings (at least according to Google).

(these +1 links in no way promote my site, each one targets only the manufacturer's website)

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Recently uploaded some ranking for a bunch of energy bars. I had always wanted to do this since I have a constant supply of assorted bars ready for me to grab at a moments notice.

Any feedback is welcome.

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2012/battle-of-the-bars/

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow that's some serious effort you put in. Impressive stuff.

Lately I've been loving the larabars. I haven't tried the PB & J one (it sounds a little weird) but the regular, peanut butter and cocoa ones are awesome tasting.

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

Just wanted to say that I've been reading through your blog and really like it. You've put a lot of great work into it and it definitely shows.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Jacob, very nice work. I have to go back and look at all the information. Photography stuff was great. You had kind words for my trowels; very perceptive! ; )

I had some trouble sending you a message through the blog. I'll PM you with the error message that was displayed.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Thanks guys, appreciate your visiting.

I had hoped to post much more, but we have had to sideline it a bit for reasons to do with the family, and travelling. I'm working to push through the series on cuben fiber shelters right now…

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Robert,

Thank you for pointing out the error message on the contact form. It did not prevent any messages from reaching me, however it is fixed now :)

I also discovered some issue with our interactive manufacturer directory; it no longer seems to be narrowing the list correctly when criteria have been supplied. I have a couple of updates for the Cuben Fiber Roundup that are in progress; will take a look at the mfgr directory after those are up.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Hi all.

Just wanted to post a quick note that the site recently received a little bit of a layout refresh. We've got a working search box now, archives links, archives and categories have a more 'tidy' results, and the interactive manufacturer directory has been refined to ensure the list of manufacturers is narrowed properly according to criteria selected.

Content coming for the end of June and start of July includes an interview with Dan Freschl of Bosavi, a look at Enlightened Equipment Quilts, and the continuation of the Cuben Fiber Roundup with the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo, and of course… more favorite music :)

Between all of that, I've been out hiking and enjoying the summer, I hope you have too!

If anyone has ideas or suggestions for future articles feel free to let me know, either here, or drop me a line using our contact form.

C ya laters alligators!
    Jacob.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Yea buddy.
    I was over there earlier, popped up in my feed, always love your perspective and quality content Jacob.

Bookmark Hike it. Like it. people.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Holy Guacamole, it's 2013 already!!

Hey gang. A happy new year to all.

We're still plugging along. For the social butterflies, Hike It. Like It. is all social-ized now (is that the right word?). If you're on Facebook, please stop by and check out our brand new Facebook page.

I'm just a lowly "F" member now, but I think F is for FUN. We're looking forward to a fun year, lots of things planned for the blog including our monthly Adventure Challenge which will be announced in just a few days and run all year long.

Thanks for all the kind words and support, stop by and say 'hi'. I'm always connected to the web unless I'm out wandering…

Cheers!
    Jacob.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jacob,

Been a while since I have been to your website and man you have put a lot of work into it for sure!

Enjoyed reading the interviews with the cottage manufactures.

BPL could learn a lot from what you have done.

Looking forward to exploring more of your site and seeing you at the GGG.

-Tony

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Really appreciate the info you put together. The photography section was a huge help to me as I started to make this more of a priority on my trips. Love the new format!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm looking forward to more of your reports Ike as you develop your craft in the photo dept. Great avatar photo btw.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Tony, Ike, Eugene

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Each of you have inspired me in various ways, I'm trying to give back something… eventually maybe even something relevant and useful! We'll see!

Well, it's Friday Jan 25 and I'm almost prepped to hit the 5th Annual GGG at Henry Coe. Sounds like I'll be joining the 70+ other light minded hikers for the weekend. Will you be there? If so, look for the guy with an ultralight 12-pack carrier, that'd be me! It's all about fun – Jacob.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

What's up party people. I have some Hike It. Like It. news to report…

We are *almost* oh, so close to relocating out of the valley and into a new place in San Rafael. We don't have the Basic Marin Wheels yet… ok no BMW in our future, guess we're destined to be the serfs. Suits me ok, all the excess funds will be in support of keeping the steam running at the likes of Moylan's, Lagunitas, Bear Republic, and Russian River Brewing Co. Good times.

Ok, here is some more pertinent news… about a month ago I launched our Interactive Gear Database. It's still in its infancy but steadily coming along. Right now we have about 300 sleeping bags, 200 shelters, and about 200 backpacks listed. In fact I'll be reworking the backpacks soon to include all the torso size ranges for each, so that'll take the total up to around 500 packs! I'm working at fleshing out these three categories "completely" before moving onto other things like quilts, stoves, hammocks, poles, etc.. etc…

Please take a look, tell a friend, feedback is most definitely welcome!!

Speaking of feedback, if you have a minute or two, I put together a short and informal survey (6 questions) which is to do with the gear database. It's not much in return for your time, but for those who take the survey there's an option at the end to get Hike It. Like It. stickers and a bookmark. The bookmark is printed on recycled paper using pigment inks, the stickers are standard vinyl bumper sticker-style.

That's about it for now. Thanks for lookin and keep on truckin.

– Jacob.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

So it’s only been a measly 3 years since I’ve bumped this thread.

Yes, I’m still around! Lurking in the shadows, etc, etc. I pop into BPL far less often these days as I find myself a nearly full-time student again, which is an interesting experience when you’re fast approaching 40 years old, but hey, never too late to teach an old dog something new.

Hike It. Like It. is still alive, and I add content as time allows. I just wrapped up finals today so it seemed like a good time to pop in! We recently made an overhaul to the site, so now it looks nice on mobile and other browsers… in the process a lot of image links got broken (still fixing them…) but otherwise same, same!

If you haven’t visited in a while, please stop by. If you’re hearing about Hike It. Like It. for the first time, try starting here :)

There is a backlog of gear to write about, and some fun trip reports coming by end of summer.

Enjoy those trails!

Jacob.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools