Topic

October 14-16: NC Mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning October 14-16: NC Mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Looking for a good 20-30 mile trail in the NC, TN, GA, VA mountains for next weekend. I prefer a good ridge trail. We have done Shining Rock, Linville Gourge, Art Loeb, Roan Mountain section of the AT. Have been considering the Mt. Rogers area. Any other recomendations? We will only have 1 car, so a loop trail would be great. Would also be interested in a shuttle service if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

If you haven't done Mt Rogers/Grayson Highland area that is what I would recommend. I would suggest parking in the Grayson Highland State Park overnight backpacking parking lot ($2 a day during week, $3 a day on weekend).

You have a lot of options to put together loops, ridge walking, etc. You can plan on the fly given the network of trails.

Good campsites:
    – AT on Stone Mtn. No water, but killer site right off the AT
    – Crest Trail. Many options. You can find secluded spots if you look
    – Bearpen trail. Nice spot close to trail.
    – It mostly wilderness, so easy to find spots

Water:
    – Thomas Knob shelter
    – Wise shelter
    – Old orchard shelter
    – Off crest trail close to Wilburn ridge
    – On forest road below Scales
    – Several streams

Let me know if you have more questions.

Brad Fisher

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools