Topic

Bechler River weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Bechler River weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Spent three days in the Bechler this past weekend. Out and back from Lone Star as far as Ouzel Falls. Lots of fishing in the Upper Firehole, Shoshone Creek (bigger fish than you'd think), Gregg Fork (cutts well above Three Rivers Junction), and the main Bechler. Bushwacked over to the base of Ouzel (which is absolutely worth doing). Perfect weather, only a bit of rain on the last day.

Photos and video here: http://bedrockandparadox.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/the-bechler/

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Things I must do in Montana:

1. climb Granite Peak
    2. hike Bechler

Great video, Dave. Wish you were shooting higher res though.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Nice photos. Love the Bechler River area.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

always enjoy your reports, videos and background music.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Thanks everyone.

Sam, I'd like a camera that shot HD vid. The S90 is great for stills, and as that's what interests me most I've yet to find reason to upgrade. The S100 does look good.

David Styers
    BPL Member

@dstyers

Dave – I'm taking my wife on a 5 day 4 night from the ranger station up to Old Faithful. As I'm begining to think out the sites/route, I thought maybe you would have some pointers. We are specifically going uphill to end at the lodge for a night of parkitecture. We both fish. Thanks. [email protected]

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

David, I'm responding here because others might find it useful.

For the most part, you can't go wrong with this trip. There's something interesting in every mile, and each backcountry site seems to have a virtue. That said, what follows are a few suggestions:

-For passionate fly fishers, be sure to spend chunks of time in both the lower Bechler and upper Bechler. Different trout, very different rivers. The lower is meandering and slow, with deep holes and extensive snags and big rainbows. Those fish were quite wary and I got best results from full stalking shenanigans (crawling to the edge of the bank, etc). The fish in the fast upper are smaller, but live in tiny pockets and strike hard and fast. Fishing both in one day was great.

-Bring lots of flies. I almost ran out.

-Do not miss the Mr. Bubbles hot spring. 9D1 gives you easy evening access.

-I'd highly recommend a side trip to Shoshone Geyser basin. Even if you don't stay there, you can hang your gear at 8G1 for easy day hiking. The fish in Shoshone Creek aren't big, but if you like small creek fishing I'd recommend devoting some time to it.

-The Firehole around Lone Star geyser gets a fair bit of pressure, but they bite and if you have the time to wait around seeing it erupt is pretty cool. You'll have enough warning from the sputtering to stop fishing and come back to watch if you stay in sight.

-I like staying in the old/original part of the Old Faithful Inn. If you call them directly you can request specific rooms. Make reservations early. I like anything in the 150s. Those rooms do not have a contained bathroom, you'll have to walk down the hall. Do not eat dinner at the Inn. The restaurant at the Snow Lodge is much, much better and only marginally more expensive. Breakfast at the Inn is ok.

David Styers
    BPL Member

@dstyers

Dave – Thanks for your advice…I am really looking forward to this trip!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools