Topic

seam sealing xpac/silnylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear seam sealing xpac/silnylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    steve m

@smulvaney

Locale: pdx

would i use silicone sealant for a xpac-silnylon seam? thanks

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

good question. in the one instance where I have had such a seam on a pack (extension collar to main body), i used silicone on the silnylon side and seam grip on the xpac side. good results so far.

on the flip side, i can say definitively that silicone sealer will not stick well to a PU coated fabric (from firsthand experience before I knew you needed the right sealer for the right fabric). I've never tried seam grip on silnylon though, so I don't know for sure that it won't work, but I doubt it would.

hope that helps. cheers,
    andy

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Don't use seamgrip on silnylon, won't stick

Diluted silcone 10:1 with mineral spirits soaks into the threads and thus makes the seam much more waterproof even if it's PU fabric

steve m

@smulvaney

Locale: pdx

thanks for your replies. what about seam tape, if i design a flat felled seam with the xpac on the inside of the pack (i too am using silnylon collar on xpac body) can i just iron this stuff on and be good?
    i realize seam sealing a pack is somewhat futile but i figure if it was reasonably easy why not?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don't know about seam tape but

I try to make my packs waterproof. I use silnylon. Coat the entire inside surface after it's all done with silicone : mineral spirits. Stuff inside stays dry when the outside gets wet from rain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools