Topic

Overnight in Yosemite, HELP.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Overnight in Yosemite, HELP.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nino Lorenzo

@neanyoe

Locale: Bay Area

Coming from the East Bay area most likely leaving Friday night/early early morning Saturday.. shooting for the 22nd of this month.

I've been here before for a 2night in Wawona to the top of the falls but this was earlier this year. It being October I'm not too familiar with the park and wondering with the weather…

** WHERE/WHAT TRAILS/WATERFALLS.. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR A 2DAY/1NIGHT BACKPACK TRIP??? **

We have all the appropriate gear just looking for a parking place, destination, and mother nature at her best…

any info helps, thanks for reading -Nino :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I guess you know that the waterfalls don't look like much at this time of the year. The autumn rains are just barely getting started, so the waterfalls are somewhere between a slight dribble and a big dribble.

There are decent waterfalls that flow all year round, mostly out around Hetch Hetchy, but that isn't anywhere around Wawona.

Have you checked a good guide book for ideas?

–B.G.–

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

The obvious one is to hike up Chilnualna Falls–a nice hike, lots of climbing. At the top you can then explore the Chilnualna Valley…and come back down again. Meets all your criteria, including Wawona, waterfalls, and overnight!

By the way-==there may be snow up there now.

There is more info about this hike, and lots of other ones in Yosemite, in the destinations section of our website: backpackthesierra.com

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Snow level to hit 7000 feet tonight. You might want to try Rancheria Falls????

Nino Lorenzo

@neanyoe

So I've done the Chilnualna falls before. I'm looking for a destination what would be a good 2 day/over night hike.

Doesn't have to include a waterfall.. a lake would do? Coming from the East Bay and driving early morning, know any good destinations?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm to go on a multi day bp Friday-Sunday, been watching the Yosemite webcam all day. All day it has been snowing up high. Not looking good for a weekend trip, plus 120 out of Lee Vining has been closed per CA Road conditions info which is how I wanted to go.
    Duane

Nino Lorenzo

@neanyoe

know any other place i could backpack? down south/central coast maybe? highway 1?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ventana Wilderness that is just south of Monterey. China Camp to Pine Valley will give you a "nice" Sierra feel. 6 miles in and 6 miles out. Nice hike. Not sure the road conditions though.

Vicente Flat off of the Kirk Creek Campground on Hwy 1 is a nice hike too.

Henry Coe can be cool as well as Big Basin.

Point Reyes???

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Our leader is looking at plan B, the Emigrant Wilderness, I'll just go home, I don't want to waste another day of my vacation waiting, I can car camp at least, then do a bp trip closer to home, maybe along the PCT. Enjoy your trip.
    Duane

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools