Topic

Uses for leftover seam sealer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Uses for leftover seam sealer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

When I finish seam sealing a tent I usually have some goo left over so when I feel like it I coat something else.
    With it I have coated the stitching in some of my boots, did that on a backpack (more to reinforce the stitching than waterproofing it) striped the bottom of a couple of mats and coated mason line too.
    The mason line I get is cheap and weak, but once coated it is rather strong and waterproof. This ends up as zip pulls, straps and side guylines, the non load bearing type.
    Inspired by how we used to dry spaghetti soon after the harvest back home, I dry that line the same way.
    Drying line
    hi vis strap
    Franco

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It makes a dandy hair mousse.

–B.G.–

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

Interesting idea. How did you apply the seam sealer?
    Is the mason line more slippery this way? I always find my mason line snags and frays really easily. This might be a good fix for that.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Bob
    yes it does and lasts for days too.
    Donald Trump liked the idea.
    It cut his hair goo budget from thousands to almost nothing.

Brandon
    I just deep it in a container. Today it was the bottom of a 2L plastic milk bottle.
    It sorts of feel a bit like dyneema as far as the slippery bit. Yes it does stop the fraying but it also does not work well with some sliding knots.
    (a bit rubbery…)
    I like it as zip pull because of the high visibility.
    Franco

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools