Topic

AT North Carolina over thanksgiving

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning AT North Carolina over thanksgiving

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I'm thinking about taking a group section hiking on the AT over the week of thanksgiving. We'd be in NC. Looking at Wallace Gap to Fontana Dam. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like, how busy the trail is, other concerns?

Thanks

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

That is the time of year when the weather is really changing to winter. I've had Thanksgiving trips that were balmy (mostly) and others that were snowy and cold (single digits at night). You will have to watch the weather before you go.

The trail will be fairly busy but more so south in the Standing Indian area and north in the park. The biggest concern is that is rifle season for deer hunting and so you need to be careful and wear plenty of orange. That is why we usually go to the park during Thanksgiving where there is no hunting.

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. We were thinking about making the drive to Big Bend as well, so I'm going to look into that as well. Hunters, hikers, and single digit temps is probably not doable for some in my group.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools