Topic

Has anyone used reflective bubble mailers for sleeping pads?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Has anyone used reflective bubble mailers for sleeping pads?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I recently received quite a few reflective bubble mailers from a friend. I have seen people using them for holding in the heat while freeze-dried food re-hydrated. Has anyone used them for anything else? I am not sure if the could be used for sleeping pads. Has anyone tried them for that purpose? I have some that are about 8 x 12. Would they make a good winter layer under a non-insulated air pad? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

years ago I tried this. I punted on the idea. I found that are warmer and more comfortable options for the weight / volume. If you were combining them with an uninsulated pad, you would want them on top of, rather than under, the air pad.

–mark

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Two problems:
    The bubbles pop
    You can't compress them

Otherwise, yes, they can work, but they are not as warm as other options as the air can circulate inside the large bubbles.

Cheers

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Bubble bag closeup
    This is a picture of what I am talking about, along with a lighter for scale. The reflective coating is on both sides, and the bubbles seem pretty tough. These look like what I have seen people use to keep their food warm when it was rehydrating, but I'm not sure. These are used to transport medical supplies such as insulin.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

If it packs small enough, I would gladly try this on a spring, summer, fall trip in between myself and my pad.

Must do some good, its encased air and has reflective properties.

Cheers,
    Corey

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I use the ordinary non-reflective sheets of bubble pak sometimes in summer. I have one of the large box/rolls of the pink stuff. I don't expect to get much insulation out of it, but I use it as a ground sheet that maybe has a tiny bit of insulation.

Some of this stuff has large bubbles, and some has small bubbles. If you put your elbow down on the large bubbles, they tend to pop, so I use only the small bubble version.

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools