Topic

REI Adventures Pants — Good for Hot & Humid Climes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Adventures Pants — Good for Hot & Humid Climes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For those who've worn REI Adventures pants in hot (90F+) and humid climes — do you find them overly hot and uncomfortable — or still pretty darn OK? Also, are they really quick drying — meaning if you wash them at night and hang them to dry, will they be dry and ready to wear by morning?

Jason Wright
    Spectator

@bicimechanic77

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Ben, I have a few pair of the REI Adventure pants. I also live in Maryland, where you can't get much more hot and humid in the summer. That said I still prefer pants year round. When it is 85 + and very humid I am not really comfortable no matter what I am wearing (or not wearing!). I want durability, bug protection and fast drying. The Adventure pants seem durable enough, not too thick, and dry very quickly. I also like that they don't have a million pockets. I really am not a big fan of cargo pants. I have not worn any out yet or busted any seams and they are a few years old. I am also a big fan of Ex officio pants, but the ones I like are not made anymore. Go figure.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good to know, Jason. Thanks.

Robert Dusing

@morob325

Locale: texas

The material on the adventure pants is a little thicker than any of my other nylon hiking pants. I live in TX and would only hike in these at 60 or below, never in hot humid places. Go with shorts, or a kilt

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Ben,
    I've got two pair. Had them on a month-long trip to Japan, and they were great even when it got hot and humid. Washed in hotel sinks and were dry by morning every time.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I bought these pants and some North Face pants for my trip to Italy this past June with the intention of washing them in the sink every other day. The REI pants felt good with the humidity and were pleasant to wear. However, they did not dry overnight in the humid climate even after wringing them out with a packtowel. I tested this method of sink washing at home (Nevada) and they did try overnight here. When in Italy after washing them they were still slightly damp in the mornings especially where the fabric is doubled up such as the waist band. They weren't so damp that I couldn't wear them, it's more of a psychological thing of putting on damp clothes. I'm not sure of the model of the North Face pants but they were much quicker to dry, a darker color to hide stains, and were less wrinkle prone. Both models had zipper pockets at the thigh which were very handy.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Eric,
    If you have time to check, woul you please post the model name of those TNF pants you liked?

I recently returned from a 16 day trip in Spain where laundry was done in the sink overnight (that's the way to travel in Europe. Having pants that are not hot towear, that will dry overnight, and look half-way decent is a huge plus.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I have some Adventure pants and only wear them in the winter because I usually find them too hot. Rest of the year is Patagonia Sol Patrol, which are much cooler, dry faster and are about half the weight. Great pants.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have tried many pants. I have decided that Railrider's are for me. Light, airy and dry quickly. Some have vent strips and are very cool in the hot 106 degree desert. They also have worked well in Georgia and Virginia in summer.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I tried the REI Adventure pants, but didn't care for the overly baggy leg opening. I picked up a pair of the Royal Robbins on sale at REI ($40) and couldn't be happier. They dry quick, breath better than the REI Adventure pants, and fit so much better.

RR Billy Goat pants

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

The RR Billy Goat shorts are greatness also. They've been dumping them lately on SAC.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"I have tried many pants. I have decided that Railrider's are for me. Light, airy and dry quickly. Some have vent strips and are very cool in the hot 106 degree desert. They also have worked well in Georgia and Virginia in summer."

I'm curious- which rail rider's pants do you have?

I have the Adventurer's pants and compared to he blue jeans I normally wear on a daily basis, they seem pretty light an airy. It would be interesting ot see a pair of pants that are to the adventurers as the adventurers are to the blue jeans.

I also like them for their lack of bulky pockets, though there still is that leg zipper pocket I could more than happily do without. I really hate how it feels to walk around with excessive junk in my pockets. My cell phone and keys are too much sometimes…

And being a desert rat, I can't comment on how they wear in humid conditions. But here in the dry heat, they are pretty comfy. My only negative criticism, I guess, would be that when they get wet from your sweat soaking through, they get darker, you know, like normal wet clothes (but I got the light colored ones, ash, I think), so it doesn't look so nice… but they do dry fast though.

BM

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The pants will be worn in very hot (100F +) and very humid climes in Southeast Asia (e.g. Borneo). My current travel pants (Royal Robbins 'Go Anywhere' pants made with Dupont nylon Supplex) are more than a decade old and getting worn out. Sadly, RR stopped making these pants.

I recently purchased two pairs of REI Adventure pants. They are comfy for southern Cal. But I am still very leery of its significantly thicker material. While they will dry overnight here at home — if they won't dry in Italy (as above), then I doubt they will dry overnight in Borneo!!

So, looks like it's back to searching for Dupont Supplex nylon. I prefer simple styling that can be worn both on trail and in town. This means NO convertibles and nothing with huge bellowing cargo pockets. Patagonia Gi II pants seem to fit the bill, as do some of the Railriders…

Given my preferences, can anyone suggest alternatives to look into?

Matthew Bradley

@patojo

Locale: Berkshire County

I own a pair of RR Weatherpants and a pair of Craghoppers NosiLife Cargo Trousers, both of which make use of Supplex. I heartily endorse both. The Weatherpants are more durable and do indeed have a low profile; the NosiLife Cargo Trousers (Craghoppers offers a comparable non-cargo model) are cooler and less spendy.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I just received RailRider's Adventure pants and I am completely impressed.
    The fabric is thin, very cool but yet appears durable. Men's size large weigh 9.5 oz plus there is an attractive 1 oz removable belt.

They have pleats in the front so they look dressy enough for travel. There are no cargo pockets but they have very deep front pockets. There is a side zippered pocket for security. (I should have had these in Spain where I caught a pick-pocket in the act). The two rear pockets are also zippered. They are quite long, which is good for me, but a shorter person would probably take a hem in them. I haven't washed them yet to see if they dry overnight, but my bet is that they would. I will definitely order another pair of these in a different color. (They come in four colors.)

http://www.railriders.com/men-adventure-khaki-pant-p-877.html?cPath=104_110

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools