Topic

5,384 unsupported miles across the continental USA in 3 months.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking 5,384 unsupported miles across the continental USA in 3 months.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

<p class=”paragraph” data-pnum=”3″>A 31-year-old Ohio man, Pete Kostelnick, started July 31 at Anchor Point on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula (where I live), running without a support vehicle to Florida – “Kenai to Key West”. Pushing supplies in a three-wheel jogging stroller, he finished this Monday, 98 days later, averaging 55 miles per day.</p>
    <p class=”paragraph” data-pnum=”3″>

Anchor Point is the westernmost limit of the contiguous road system in the Americas and Key West is the southernmost point in the USA’s continental road system.</p>
    <p class=”paragraph” data-pnum=”4″>In 2016, Kostelnick ran 3,067 miles from San Francisco to New York City in 42.25 days, beating the 36-year-old record by 4 days.

In a 24-hour run, he’s done 163 miles.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-ne-ohio-man-finishes-run-alaska-key-west-20181106-story.html</p&gt;

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Crap, sorry.  Forgot about the unedittable first post.  Here’s a cleaner version:
    A 31-year-old Ohio man, Pete Kostelnick, started July 31 at Anchor Point on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula (where I live), running without a support vehicle to Florida – “Kenai to Key West”. Pushing supplies in a three-wheel jogging stroller, he finished this Monday, 98 days later, averaging 55 miles per day.

Anchor Point is the westernmost limit of the contiguous road system in the Americas and Key West is the southernmost point in the USA’s continental road system.

In 2016, Kostelnick ran 3,067 miles from San Francisco to New York City in 42.25 days, beating the 36-year-old record by 4 days.

In a 24-hour run, he’s done 163 miles.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-ne-ohio-man-finishes-run-alaska-key-west-20181106-story.html</p&gt;

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

He was well prepared for the worst…..he’ has a spare tire in his pack :-)

Thank you David :-)

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Amazing feet, er, feat!   My knees ache just thinking about it.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

One cool thing about banging out 55 miles a day is that even in the northern Yukon Territory or the stretch from Anchorage to Tok, Alaska, you’re rarely more than 1-2 days between easy resupplies.  Once you’re in the farm country of southern Canada and the Midwest, there’s a county seat every 40-50 miles – you could have a burger and a milkshake for lunch most days.

Also, on northern highways, people are super helpful – you’re guaranteed that the second or third person to come along will stop and help.  The three times I’ve needed help (flat tire but no jack; stuck in a snow bank; and car heater failed at -20F), the very next person stopped.

When I see bicyclists on the Haul Road (north from Fairbanks to the Arctic Ocean) or the Parks Highway past Denali, I usually stop and ask if they need anything.  The most common request is for water – long stretches are nothing but moist ground and the major streams are WAY below the roadway and quite a scramble.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

David; what would the phone coverage be like on such a route? Would it be pretty much continuous?

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

This guy is fully legit! Super hardcore achievement.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Adam:  The 200 miles from Anchor point to Anchorage has about 70% phone and data coverage with the longest cell shadow being 22 miles long (Manitoba Hut MP 58 to Turnagain Arm MP 80).  Then the 300 miles onto Tok, Alaska is 40% coverage with 40-70 mile gaps between towns.  Then the Alaskan Highway (which is mostly in Yukon Territory  and northern BC), I’d guess is about 40% coverage with some 100 mile gaps.  Into southern Canada and the US midwest, I expect >90% coverage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools