Topic

DWR Wind pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DWR Wind pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I have a week-long hike coming up in November where I'm expecting mostly warm (65-75*) and dry days. However, last camp will be at a higher elevation, cooler temps and potential rain/sleet/snow. I'm expecting 35-40* at camp. I'm not really expecting torrential rains; sleet/snow is much more likely.

I normally wear light hiking pants and take a pair of light shorts and a lightweight merino baselayer for sleeping. I'm thinking about adding lightweight wind pants, maybe something with DWR so they're "water-resistant"? I don't want them to weigh more than 2-3 oz. I though I might make a pair out of the Momentum90 fabric from thru-hiker.

So, would they be worth it? That is, will they keep me warmer and dryer than my hiking pants?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think wind pants are practical if you wear only light shorts for your normal fair weather hiking and need the leg coverage. If you wear light nylon pants, I don't see the gain, in fact wind pants are just extra weight at that point. I have gone to zip-offs rather than carry both pants and shorts.

SUL tops survive well enough, but sitting, sliding on rock, catching lower brush, etc takes a toll on the light fabric. What I found with SUL wind pants is that they are so fragile that I was constantly having to watch every move. In the scenario above, I would be wearing 2.5 layer rain pants with a light base layer under.

Other options that come mind: use a DWR treatment on your existing hiking pants or take some DriDucks pants if you don't have rain pants and want a light, cheap CYA option.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

whudda dale said

if yr hiking pants have DWR and its in good condition … or if it can be re-treated … then you dont really need it

if you want more rain/wind protection get real rain pants

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Good point about fragile UL fabrics.

I know that I don't need rain pants and even the DriDucks are too heavy to be worth taking. I think I'm probably over-thinking this. Baselayer and hiking pants should be enough. Thanks.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

As others have said wind pants won't gain you much if you wear hiking pants with DWR, but where are you hiking in November that will be warm and dry? I ask because I would much rather carry a little extra weight and stay dry than not be prepared and get soaked. On my last trip we were supposed to get a light drizzle but ended up in a storm with rain and 30mph winds. I was really glad I brought all of my rain gear even though I didn't think I would need it.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> where are you hiking in November that will be warm and dry?

Grand Canyon, first week of November.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sounds like you need a GTX PacLite pant that will shed rain & wet snow as well as keep you dry. DWR on wind pants won't cut it.

If you truly must do some "butt sliding" wear a pair of synthetic shorts over the rainpants. British commandos usually wear regular BDU uniforms over their GTX suits to protect them.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> Sounds like you need a GTX PacLite pant that will shed rain & wet snow as well as keep you dry.

Yikes, no, we're talking about the Grand Canyon, not the Cascades. Think Las Vegas. I really don't need rain pants. I only thought of the wind pants because I could make it for an ounce or two and thought it might provide just enough warmth/water-repellency to make it worthwhile. Maybe use them as pajamas as well.

In fact, there's a kit on thru-hiker.com using Momentum90. Wouldn't they be worth *something*?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

for hiking youll wear yr hiking pants … when its cold youll wear yr shorts and hiking pants …

if its really cold at night or at camp yr better off served by light long johns

consumerism for the sake of consumerism is the road to dead bird/patagucci damnation ;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

">> where are you hiking in November that will be warm and dry?

Grand Canyon, first week of November."

Take a pair of 3oz wind pants down there and you will bring back very expensive ribbons!

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> Take a pair of 3oz wind pants down there and you will bring back very expensive ribbons!

LOL… yeah, that's why I responded "good point" to your earlier response and decided I was just complicating things.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools