Topic

Emigrant Wilderness: Toejam Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Emigrant Wilderness: Toejam Lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I had to be in Jamestown, CA for a BBQ on Sunday afternoon, so I decided to sneak in a quick overnighter at nearby Emigrant Wilderness. I started at the Gianelli trailhead and hiked to Toejam Lake, which was about 8.8 miles each way according to my map. It turned out to be a relatively easy hike without a lot of elevation gain or loss, but there were some pretty nice views almost immediately.
    Emigrant1

About 3 miles in I stopped to have a snack overlooking what I believe is Chewing Gum Lake
    Emigrant2

The forecast called for a slight chance of rain. At this point I had a feeling there was more than a slight chance I would get wet.
    Emigrant3

It did end up raining for about 20 minutes as I was approaching Toejam lake, but when I arrived it stopped almost immediately.
    Emigrant5

After setting up camp I took a very short stoll up to the top of the hill next to the lake where the views opened up.
    Emigrant6
    I'm assuming this is The Three Chimneys
    Emigrant7
    A view down on Toejam lake with my campsite in the lower right.
    Emigrant8

The next morning I hustled out of there to get to the BBQ in time, so I didn't take many pictures. One of the pictures I did take was of Powell Lake that I somehow didn't notice on the hike in. It's about 2 miles from the trailhead.
    Emigrant9

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Chris,

Thanks for the excellent pictures and report. It looks like you were able to make the most of your weekend and enjoy some nice scenery.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Nice Chris.

Do you happen to know if that is Burst Rock at the far left in the first photo?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi David,

Might be Castle Rock, definitely not Burst Rock, which is the first hill you climb leaving Gianelli Cabin trailhead.

Cheers,

Rick

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Thanks Davids.

I don't think it's Burst Rock. According to the map, Burst Rock is right next to the trail. Possibly Castle Rock?

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

A couple of questions:

How was the mosquito situation?–was there a month ago and it was nasty.

What do you think the overnight low temperature was?

Thanks,

rhz

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Mosquitos weren't an issue. In fact, I don't even remember noticing them at all.

I'd guess the low was around 35-40, but really not too sure. I had a WM Megalite (30 degree) on a Neoair and was pretty comfortable with that setup….neither hot nor cold. Most of the night I didn't have it zipped up all the way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools