Topic

Great buy on 30D tent inner fabric!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Great buy on 30D tent inner fabric!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Clint Warner
    BPL Member

@kodipak

Locale: Salt Lake City

I found what appears to be a limited supply of the "good stuff" to use for 4-season tent inner fabric. This un-dyed white rip-stop nylon seems to be 30D, pure finish, not calendared, and uncoated rip stop nylon(based on the 38gsm weight shown on their Web Site for the same thing but coated finished product also for sale on their Web Site).

Keep in mind, most of the uncoated breathable nylon typically for sale on the normal sites are down proof, calendared, and therefore are not ideal for inner tent fabrics. This pure finish stuff should be much more breathable for 4-season and other MYOG uses (think 4-season inner nets for your mid, sand-proof panels for desert shelters, etc.)

Being that the shop selling it is in the UK, it might well be some rejects that Carrington intended for parachutes that Roger speaks so highly of for his tunnels???

http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=213&osCsid=6j1utrogbk3vvadst0n2nl90n1

Regardless, at just 99 pence/meter ($1.66 or so per meter in USD), it's worth taking the chance on it. I just bought 12 meters of it and it only put me back $20.93 of her majesty's finest sterling…That's with shipping to the states too!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Sounds good, except that it is unfinished. That most likely means that it does not have any DWR coating on it, and that could be problematic for an inner tent when the condensation drips down.

On the other hand, the amount of condensation is rarely super high, and the fabric might be able to handle the amount of water dripping onto it.

Alternately, when you get it, you could put the whole lot in a tub and add DWR yourself. Not as good as the factory finish, but way better than nothing.

Photos of the finished gear are expected. :-)

Cheers

Clint Warner
    BPL Member

@kodipak

Since this is uncoated…For DWR, as Roger suggests, do you think using the more potent varieties containing PTEF, like those typically recommended for Sunbrella outdoor fabrics would be better than those marketed to the outdoor industry?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks for the tip.

I ordered 15 yards.

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

I have bought this before, as I find the website great for random and chance fabrics. It def has no DWR and sometimes the weight can be a bit more than the stated. But all in all not to bad. I dyed it black and use it for assorted things that need to be highly breathable.

Clint Warner
    BPL Member

@kodipak

I didn't know this stuff was dyable with commercially available dyes. Which dye did you use?

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

From what I recall it was standard RIT dye. As long as it's not coated then you are usually okay. I dyed it in to small a bucket so it wasn't a perfectly even dye, some lighter splotches. So be careful of tub size when you do it.

Clint Warner
    BPL Member

@kodipak

The fabric arrived today. Weighs in at 1.15oz/yd unfinished…within the realm of expectations for 30D.. Overall, quality is ok, surface finish isn't perfectly smooth, there are slight bumps where the ripstop checks overlap, but plenty good enough. I applied Sunbrella DWR to test piece, didn't add any weight and seemed to repel water well enough to keep condensation from waking me up. The best part is how breathable this stuff is, i can breathe easily through without exerting any effort, much better than the down proof stuff. Now on to making the Duomid winter inner tent! Just in time too, 12" of the white stuff is forecasted this weekend on the Wasatch Front.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My 15 yards has also arrived.

On my scale it comes to 1.3 ounces per square yard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools