Topic

Virga vs. Jam, or any Chicago ULers out there?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Virga vs. Jam, or any Chicago ULers out there?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

(delurking)

Finally getting to the point of buying, rather than oogling, UL kit. Based on reviews (plus my budget and what’s on sale now)I have pretty much decided on either a Granite Gear Virga or a GoLite Jam for a pack. I have some concerns–I’m 6’6″, first of all, but I went to Moosejaw in Chicago to try them out last night.

Only the Virga was in stock, but the size large seems to be long enough (my ‘back’ is aprox. 21″). I asked the Moosejaw folks for some weight, and they all they had was a roughly shoe-box shaped 22 lbs. Right weight, but needless to say, a Virga packed with one pointy weight and some newspaper fails to make a virtual frame, and is ungodly uncomfortable.

So, I turn to BPL. How did you all decide on your packs? Bring your kit to the store, pack it, and see how it feels? I may be doing this backwards, in that other posts suggest buying a pack last, but in my transition to ultralight the pack seems like the biggest and cheapest first weight savings.

I appreciate the advice. Feel free to chime in with thoughts on virga vs. jam, packs for tall folks, etc. And if you live in Chicago and want to show me how you pack I’d be happy to buy you a beer.

–Nathan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools