Topic

DIY Roll-top Dry Bags – Plans, Materials, etc.?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Roll-top Dry Bags – Plans, Materials, etc.?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dan Smith

@dcsmith

I'm new to posting on BPL, but have been reading the forums for awhile now. Great community! I'm looking at making some of my own roll-top (with clasp) dry bags out of Sinylon or Ripstop Nylon with DWR or other waterproof material.

Does anyone have a materials list or plans on making various sizes of dry bags? I'm actively involved in Cub Scouts and we go on a ton of canoe trips and other water activities and would like to make some of my own gear. Sewing the bag material is easy enough, but getting the right materials for the roll-top strapping/support is where I'm confused, along with some good sources for waterproof material.

The search function isn't working for me as planned. Any information/ parts lists/materials suppliers you could provide would be very useful. I'd like to make a dozen of these and give them out as gifts to the scouts. With that said, these don't need to be ultralight Cuben material, but any cheaper waterproof material would suffice.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Sources for fabric:

Rockywoods.com
    Diygearsupply.com
    Thru-hiker.com
    Owfinc.com
    Seattlefabrics.com

All these places also sell hardware (buckles, etc) and webbing.

For stiffening a rolltop closure, I've used scraps of plastic strapping, like the kind used to hold rolls of fiberglass insulation and other building materials together. Free from the dumpster at the lumber yard. Sew a tube around the top of the bag, either by folding over the bag material, or sewing on webbing or grosgrain ribbon. Insert two lengths of plastic, and maybe bar tack them in place. In fact, the webbing alone may be all the stiffening you need.

Plenty of other sources of cheap, thin, light plastic as well.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"…I've used scraps of plastic strapping, like the kind used to hold rolls of fiberglass insulation and other building materials together. Free from the dumpster at the lumber yard."

I've pondered this very question and you have just inspired me to go dumpster diving…

Thanks?

BM

Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

I wouldn't put anything that has to stay perfectly dry, in a sil nylon dry bag. You'll probably still get a little bit of leakage if it sits in a puddle of water long enough…

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I agree, silnylon is not totally waterproof, in my experience

It's okay for tarps

For a pack or groundsheet, it will leak

If you coat it with 10:1 mineral spirits:silicone then it will be waterproof but you may have to re-treat it occasionally

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools