Topic

Our 30th Anniversary shoulder season list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Our 30th Anniversary shoulder season list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

We're doing a three day trip for our 30th Anniversary in late October, this will be the first real shoulder season trip for my wife (my hope is to get her hooked where she'll try a winter trip :))

Anyways this is what I came up w/ shoulderseasonlist

Mike

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Haven't looked at the list yet, but . . . big congrats on 30 years!

Tom Ferry
    BPL Member

@thecook

Congratulations on 30 years. Next year will be 20 for us and I can only hope that we will be still be taking trips in 10 years.

Your list looks nice. My only comment is that for me, fleece and an alpine light jacket would be too warm even at 20. Could you leave your R1 top at home? My wife, on the other hand, would need both layers.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks gents :)

I definitely want my wife to have both layers, need to get her hooked on "cool" weather backpacking :) My reasoning for the R1 is more for moving on the trail than around camp, I wouldn't use the down jacket on the move and at 20 (or possibly even below) the Cap 1 would be mighty chilly- w/ the addition of the R1 it wouldn't be a problem. I do have a R1 (or maybe R2?) vest that is about 3-ish oz lighter that might do the trick though. I should have a better idea on weather as the date gets closer, so I might be able to make some last minute substitutions depending on the forecast.

Mike

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I'll second the cap1/r1 redundancy although I would say the cap1 pants might not be needed.

I think rain/wind pants would be a better option than the cap 1. They would probably offer equal or more warmth and be better suited for on the move while the r1 would be saved for sleeping or in case it gets really cold.

Take this with a grain of salt cause my neck of the woods (Georgia) doesn't really have seasons its either hot, or its not :)

Otherwise, really slick list ill definitely be referring to it myself for some full winter trips

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

you guys got my wheels turning on the bottom situation :)

my original thought was that the cap 1's would be used for sleep (the R1's would be too warm) and on the trail on the under Rock Guides if it was really cold, the R1 ones would be pulled over the Guides at camp

now I'm thinking maybe ditch the Rock Guides (although the DWR on them is great) altogether, wear the R1's for hiking- add Cap 1's at camp, use Cap 1's for sleep

another option would be ditch the Cap 1's for me, as I tend to sleep hot and unless very cold probably wouldn't use them for sleep and once hiking probably wouldn't need anything underneath- in this scenario I wouldn't leave my wife's at home- she sleeps cooler and I think would like the Cap 1's for sleep and might even ear them in addition to the R1's at camp

to add to the confusion I do have some MB windpants (as does my wife) that could also possibly be entered into the fray :)

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Sounds like you could just ditch the r1 pants altogether and your wife could ditch the cap1.

You said they would be too warm for you to sleep in and to hike in with the pants. I would prefer hiking in pants to the r1 as Im pretty sure I would be too hot (and that means chafing…) and as you said the dwr is great.

You can layer while you hike with the cap1 if needed and then have them to sleep in.

If you think bad weather is a possibility add the windpants for warmth and protection from wind/rain/snow

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks- that might work :) it's definitely a conundrum as October is one of the worst months to prepare for in Montana- it wouldn't be uncommon to experience temps in the 60's w/ lows into the 30's, conversely it wouldn't be that uncommon to have highs into the 30's and lows into the single digits!

I think as the trip gets closer I should have a better idea on weather/temps- some adjustments certainly might be warranted

I can see where some light down pants might be a good investment, maybe for Christmas :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i ditch the R1 pants for you and only bring the cap 1s ir yr using the rock guides…. or vice versa if its gonna be cold .. softshells will provide a tad of warmth themselves … its only in camp you need to worry and you have a helium

for her id bring both just because the helium is ~ a 30F bag for women …

she will likely be a tad colder than you as you both have almost the same insulation, yet women are consistently 5-10F colder temp wise, especially those thin ones … you may not need it but id advise a nalgene for her and slightly more fuel than needed should the night or camp be cold … itll also help dry yr socks off in camp

id also advise some extra food for her if it gets cold/wet … nothing like a bar of chocolate to cheer a gurl up at the end of the day ;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ that sounds like a good way to go- my legs usually don't get too cold (if my upper is warm)

her Helium is the women's model- it's en rated to 15 (for a women, single digits for a man- if your short enough :)

definitely on the chocolate- our new favorite for bedtime dessert is the various Luna bar offerings

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

hmmm … it it is rated down to 19F for women … good for MH on rating the womens bags properly well more or less … never noticed that before

when the womens version is heavier than the mens version … its probably properly rated ;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah all of Marmot's women bags are now EN rated (correctly)- at the "cost" of more down :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools