Topic

The lightest DSLR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography The lightest DSLR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like DPreview.com a lot. There is a ton of info there. I was thinking more of a hiking-oriented list with emphasis on weight and image quality. We all fear getting an expensive turkey, like the Canon G-10 I had– looked nice on paper :(

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

I've done hiking in Minami Alps just with E-PL1 and 20mm f1.7 lens, and eyeing Nex-5N + 30mm for added macro capability, amazing SNR at base ISO, and invaluable tilt screen.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Dale W said:
    "I like DPreview.com a lot. There is a ton of info there. I was thinking more of a hiking-oriented list with emphasis on weight and image quality."

Well, DPreview is pretty exhaustive in its image testing and you can use their database to divine the weight comparison. In the end though it's all down to which compromises you are prepared to make, and that differs for all of us. I wouldn't take the Olympus to a nice brightly lit country like Italy again, because the Ricoh GX200 does so well at low ISO and also does nice long exposure dawn/dusk shots off a stable platform. It's wide and tele add on's are comparatively light too, which is a big factor in the new interchangeable lens world. I'd agree DPR doesn't cover that angle as well as it might.

Rick M said:
    "I don't care for the glossy/slippery finish of white version or any of the J1 cameras…same for the new Oly EPL-3 and mini and the Pany GF3 for that matter"

They all need a rubber boot, or at least an after market rubber grip. I'm happy with the ergonomics of the Ricoh though.

Not for backpacking use but I've been toying with the idea of improving the handling and balance of something like a pen mini or E-PL3 by hiding it inside an old Russian FED 3 or Zorki I (Leica copies) rangefinder body to create a Fuji X100 like experience.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Hi Rog

Where is that? Looks a bit like the Lake District.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I've been using the Sony NEX 5 for the last year and I really like it. It produces images with better resolution than my Canon 450D, especially at high ISOs, and is much more compact. I only have the 18-55 kit lens but I do find this useful for most purposes. It only weighs slightly less than the Canon kit lens but the whole package is much smaller and lighter. The lens choice is a little limited but a 55-210 lens is due soon. I will get this along with either an NEX 5N or NEX 7 body (I'd like to see high ISO images from the latter before deciding as 24mp is high for an APS-C sensor) and dispense with my Canon and lenses. I'll probably get the 16mm lens as well.

An argument against the NEX 5 (and the 3 and C3) is the lack of a viewfinder. However as the screen flips up I hold the camera against my body and look down at the screen, which is actually more stable than holding it to my eye.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hi D,
    Spot on, it's taken from the East edge of Keswick, looking across to the north east.

Blencathra is also known as Saddleback, and has a short but exciting ridge scramble across sharp edge to the summit at Hallsfell Top.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_57FeVYL_WoM/TEyj6Xw3yRE/AAAAAAAAsg8/JsWRuxz0qmw/20100725WALKBlencathraViaSharpEdge.jpg

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Hi Rog

It did look a bit familiar but I was only there the once so couldn't be sure.

Windermere was flooding the town when I was there …

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Locale: The Western Door

A little late here, but I figured I'd add the note that the 17.5-45 lens you mention is consistently ranked as the worst Oly lens, along with the 14-45mm (which I had on an E-330 for years). My friend who got the E-410 with the smaller 14-42mm let me borrow it, and the difference in sharpness and rendering was just night and day, at any focal length and aperture. So in comparing your E-410 with any other given camera, the 17.5-45 is probably making the 410 look worse than it is. The 14-42 just seems like a no-brainer to me, unbelievably small for a DSLR lens and often available used for well under $100.

As for me, I'm sticking with my Pentax K-x (small and light enough, I guess) until that beautiful Samsung NX200 comes down in price… tiny, with some superb pancakes available, and 20mp of APS-C goodness with the same rendering characteristics as the K20D sensor I loved but with several years of tech development in the interim… Since no one really notices Samsung's superb mirrorless offerings, after a couple months their prices come WAY down, just in time for me to hit the road for the summer.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools