Topic

Mid-October Trip suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mid-October Trip suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hello friends –

Oh, how plans change. I am hoping to hear from people regarding suggestions for a mid-October backpacking trip that lasts from 3-5 days somewhere in California, Arizona or Utah. We are tying to keep logistics to a minimum, only because spending too much time driving and flying tends to cut into vacation time.

I would love to hear your suggestions! We are trying to avoid likely areas where rainy (and I guess potentially snowy) weather could pose issues.

Thanks,

Dirk

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Well, the word revolver might elicit a response or two to the original missive. Does anyone have a suggestion or two as to a good place in the west to go backpacking in mid-October. I realize it's late in the season, but would love to hear your ideas.

Dirk

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've never been but I would imagine that Zion, Canyonlands, etc. would be quite enjoyable during this shoulder season. I've heard the crowds are also gone by this time. If you're note bringing a revolver, I would suggest a smaller rifle in case you see stuff to shoot at on your trip!

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Big Sur can be nice in mid-October. The only potential wrinkle is fire restrictions which can exclude the use of even stoves during high fire season. I'd expect daytime highs in the 60s-80s and lows in the 40s to 50s.

The lower elevations of the Sierra can also be nice in October. I usually do a trip out to the western part of the Golden Trout Wilderness behind Bakersfield/Porterville around mid-October. It can get down to the low 20s at night this time of year in this area but the days are pleasant.

Parts of the Los Padres National Forest behind Santa Barbara and Ventura can be nice, especially this year as we still have abundant water in many of the creeks/rivers. Expect similar temps to Big Sur. The same or similar fire restrictions may apply.

I don't really venture into National Parks much; I don't much care for the crowds, permit requirements, parking fees, etc, so I realize my recommendations may be a little more obscure than the more mainstream suggestions but these are my regular fall destinations in my part of the West.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

this would be a good 3-4 day trip, lots of info on this hike (there is a shuttle involved, not sure of the Park's schedule in October though)

Jim Carr

@jcarr

Locale: Humboldt County

I'm heading into the Trinity Alps in N CA. on Oct 20th. I went 2 years ago and had the best weather you could ask for

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Another vote for Utah.
    Grand Gulch (with the fall colors!) or Zion Traverse come to mind.

Here in CA, sometimes you get great weather in the Sierra mid-October; other times it's lousy. It can change on a dime. I wouldn't count on the Sierra.

In October, just about nothing in the USA can compete with southern Utah.

– Elizabeth

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Its a bit farther than Zion but I loved the Gila Wilderness Area. If you want to go there are plenty of trip reports around here to give you ideas.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I will be in southern Utah 1st week of October. It's my first trip there but it has been highly recommended for October. We have decided to do about a 3 day trip thru Coyote Gulch in the Escalante area. It looks pretty nice. There are some other really nice looking slot canyon day hikes in the area. We then plan to do about 4 days in Zion thru some of those narrow canyons. A grand canyon trip was my next choice. Any recommendations on the type of revolver I should take will be greatly appreciated :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Colorado Plateau is where I would go. Fly into SLC or Vegas, rent a car, drive to Zion, Bryce, or the Escalante. Do the Trans-Zion (imo not that good), Under the Rim (better), or a loop from Egpyt TH down Fence to the river, investigate Neon, then back up 25 mile wash (best).

Another excellent option, though physically harder, would be to fly into Vegas, drive to the North Rim of the GC, and hike the Thunder River loop.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Jim Carr, how are the bears in Trinity Alps? What precautions did you /do you take re bear bagging or whatever?

That area sound really nice, and not heavily impacted / visited also sounds really good. Any more concrete advice you can give?

Adam Johnson
    Spectator

@mr-ajandkj

Capitol Reef, Utah?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools