Topic

which ultralight zpacks cord:?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) which ultralight zpacks cord:?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I need to get 50 ft of cord and was thinking about either the
    1.5mm Z-Line Spectra Cord or the 1.4mm Z-Line Slick Dyneema Cord.

It would be the only cord I'd carry so it needs to be general purpose (bear bag, possible extra guy line, etc).

I was concerned that the spectra cord would not slide easily over a branch for bear bagging and that the dyneema would not hold knots so easily.

Does anyone have either of these cords?

Thanks,

rhz

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I use the z-line spectra cord and i really like it. I only use it for guylines for my tarp though and would not want to use it for bear bagging so if you are only set on one cord than go with the dyneema.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I've been playing around with the 1.5mm zline for my guylines and find that it holds adjustable grip hitches quite well. My only issue is that ti's really hard to cleanly melt the ends to prevent fraying. I've ended up tying double over-hand knots and trimming the cord about 1/8 or so past that, and just letting that much of it fray. For the most part, once I've tied the knots in my guyline, I don't really have much need to untie them anymore anyway. It's a bit stiff though when you first get it, like solid core copper wire, but it softens up with use.

I've also used the 1.25mm stuff with cordlocks for stuff sacks, and that works really well for that.

BM

Jon Franklin

@junto01

I'd go with the slick dynema if your using it as guy lines and bear bag hanging. The slick surface of the dyneema really helps to minimize drag and vibration when your hanging a heavy bag of food. I'm sure it would work as guy lines as well but I haven't really tried it for that application, I have the two different types from zpacks.

J. Lopes

@jay_nj

I absolutely hated using the z-line slick cord for bear bagging…. I originally bought it for that purpose and tried it a few times and found that the line can just destroy your hands and dig into a tree branch pretty easily with minimal weight. I ended up using it for guylines (works great!) and purchasing the reflective glowire from mountainfitter for my bear-line:

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/Reflective-Glowire-p881.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools